If they can’t keep Carlos Ruiz, the Phillies may go after A.J. Pierzynski

Nov 12, 2013, 1:00 PM EST

a.j. pierzynski getty Getty Images

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies are making A.J. Pierzynski their top target if they can’t reach a deal with Carlos Ruiz.

Which isn’t going to make a ton of Phillies fans happy given how popular Ruiz is and how polarizing a figure Pierzynski is. Still, he’s not horrible as fallback options go. Pierzynski hit .272/.297/.425 with 17 home runs and 70 RBI in 134 games this past season and at age 37 would not likely be looking at a long term deal. He’d be the catching Marlon Byrd, right?

1. NatsLady - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

>This would also be a good signing for Fox. They like to use Pierzynski for their postseason coverage and, if he signs in Philly, they can be guaranteed that he’ll be free come the first of October. Total win-win.

Burn.

• NatsLady - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Aw, so cute. Fillies fans givin’ me the down thumbs! ;)

• delsj - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I would suspect your post was thumbed down by anyone old enough to have a drink since all you did was copy and paste Craig’s joke and add the word “burn” like a schoolgirl.

• baseballer28 - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM

or they could ask harper to do it, cause the last I remember, that bs mickey mouse organization (who has never won a playoff series) down the road was also watching it from the sidelines…

• ilovebaxter - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Comments from fans whose team has never won a postseason series amuses me

2. 18thstreet - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I don’t watch pre-game or post-game shows, but can someone who does tell me how AJ was? I was just baffled by the choice to put him on air. And then I remember: Fox hates sports fans.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

He’s actually pretty good. Well-spoken and not as inclined to soft peddle criticism as so many other ex-players (and current players) are. He has a future in that business I think.

• stex52 - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I only see that working out if his first choice of careers (serial axe murderer) doesn’t work. He would have so much aptitude for that.

• indaburg - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Nah, stex. Craig is right. I was prepared to hate A.J.’s bleached tipped guts as an analyst. His bush league tactics on the field infuriate me. I was surprised to see that he was actually quite good. Astute observations, surprisingly intelligent, articulate, and even kind of funny. I think he doesn’t soft peddle criticism because he’s not afraid of being disliked. I still hate him when he’s playing against my team, but that’s kind of a compliment.

• stex52 - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Well, I guess we can give him a shot. He wouldn’t be the first intelligent, articulate sociopath we all came to love.

BTW, I’m a hypocrite. He spent the year on my fantasy team.

3. tn16 - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Jays better sign him first JP isn’t a option any more

4. proudlycanadian - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Philadelphia just missed out on a chance to sign Bengie Molina.

5. delsj - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Trolling Philly fans about the Phillies during Eagles season is futile at best. That’s a pretty good one though. I thought you would have went for something in the genre of an old team replacing one old catcher with an even older one. Then of course, I didn’t know anything about AJ as an analyst because like most Philly fans I tuned out on baseball as soon as the Phillies’ season ended.

6. liquidgrammar - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

EAT IT, CALCATERRA!!!!

7. theanswer0381 - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

you act like the phillies cant make the playoffs this year. Look how the redsox rebounded to win it all. the phils can atleast rebound to make the playoffs

8. hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

They’d be fine if he signed with Atlanta as Fox coverage doesn’t start until after the divisional series.

• tuberippin - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Starts and ends in the division series.

9. 12strikes - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Natslady… you rested from that great postseason run this year, you know, the one that Rizzo was will to sacrifice last seasons run for by putting Steven s. on the shelf for.

10. dcfan999 - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

It’s ok the nats still have a better chance then the old man phillies and the nats are gonna make moves to get better Philly signed old man Byrd haha

11. onbucky96 - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

AJ in Philly? His attitude, the fans, and the Philly media will make a TOXIC mix. Can’t wait.

12. dcfan999 - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

yea well at least we made it to the playoffs the phillies are done I love how phillies fans think there team is relevant

• tuberippin - Nov 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM

From the city that has had multiple ball clubs, none of which have had any history of sustained success despite having had teams from 1891 to 1971, and then again since 2005.

Enjoy that 1924 championship dude.

13. davereckon - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

dcfan999 | Nov 12, 2013, 3:59 PM EST

——————————————-

And we love how basic grammar rules, along with baseball acumen, seem to escape most Washington fans. Boy, that well rested Young phenom of yours really made a difference in your playoff run this year…no wait, playoff run last year….no wait, playoff run NEXT year. Thats it, next year is your year. At least that is what THERE saying down THEIR in Washington.

14. dcfan999 - Nov 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

How’s that Ryan Howard contract working out oh by the way the mets braves and nats are all better then the phillies

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4837)