Indians interested in Fernando Rodney, Brian Wilson

Nov 12, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT

Fernando Rodney Getty Getty Images

After releasing Chris Perez the Indians might be in the market for a new closer and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that they’re “scheduled to talk to” free agents Fernando Rodney and Brian Wilson.

However, according to Hoynes the Indians are more likely to wait for someone’s price tag to drop rather than jumping in right away, in part because they have some potential in-house closer options in Cody Allen and Bryan Shaw.

Or, to put it another way: Cleveland has learned its lesson about paying for a so-called “proven closer” after watching Perez struggle while making $7 million.

1. losangelesfan - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’d be shocked if Wilson left the Dodgers.

2. janessa31888 - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Oh, horror! No way do I want Brian Wilson! We’ve had enough of eccentric closers prone to tantrums. (And that beard is hideous)

• pastabelly - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

We all know that you don’t win championships with hideous beards. ;)

• janessa31888 - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I guess it shouldn’t matter to me. Sigh. Cleveland doesn’t win championships, with or without beards. I should be resigned to that bitter fact by now. I at least want to know if he has a tendency to bad mouth the fans. That is what turned us against Perez.

3. drewzducks - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The return of the Wild Thing to Cleveland !

• ptfu - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I fully expect the following to happen in Cleveland:

4. countduku - Nov 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM

it would be a good bet to guess that cleveland will wait until all the big spenders have finished overpaying for their free agents, at which point the Indians will do what they did so successfully last year and fill their roster with some shorter term, lesser paid free agents willing to accept 1 to 2 year deals. I also would not be suprised to see the Indians trade asdrubal cabrera in the near future for some young pitching, as they have mike aviles to fill the spot until their young star is major league ready, which may be more sooner than later.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2961)