Nov 12, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
After releasing Chris Perez the Indians might be in the market for a new closer and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that they’re “scheduled to talk to” free agents Fernando Rodney and Brian Wilson.
However, according to Hoynes the Indians are more likely to wait for someone’s price tag to drop rather than jumping in right away, in part because they have some potential in-house closer options in Cody Allen and Bryan Shaw.
Or, to put it another way: Cleveland has learned its lesson about paying for a so-called “proven closer” after watching Perez struggle while making $7 million.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)