Nov 12, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
After releasing Chris Perez the Indians might be in the market for a new closer and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that they’re “scheduled to talk to” free agents Fernando Rodney and Brian Wilson.
However, according to Hoynes the Indians are more likely to wait for someone’s price tag to drop rather than jumping in right away, in part because they have some potential in-house closer options in Cody Allen and Bryan Shaw.
Or, to put it another way: Cleveland has learned its lesson about paying for a so-called “proven closer” after watching Perez struggle while making $7 million.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)