Nov 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Jay Bell spent the past season as the Pirates hitting coach. He’s moving down the Ohio River now, however. He’s been named the bench coach for the Cincinnati Reds, where he’ll be new manager Bryan Price’s right-hand man. The Pirates confirmed the move this morning.
As far as stepping-stones go it’s better to be a bench coach than a hitting coach. Especially considering no one has ever been able to demonstrate how one can judge who a good hitting coach is and who a bad one is. Well, except for maybe Larry Parrish, who was awful.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (68)