Nov 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Jay Bell spent the past season as the Pirates hitting coach. He’s moving down the Ohio River now, however. He’s been named the bench coach for the Cincinnati Reds, where he’ll be new manager Bryan Price’s right-hand man. The Pirates confirmed the move this morning.
As far as stepping-stones go it’s better to be a bench coach than a hitting coach. Especially considering no one has ever been able to demonstrate how one can judge who a good hitting coach is and who a bad one is. Well, except for maybe Larry Parrish, who was awful.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)