Nov 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Jay Bell spent the past season as the Pirates hitting coach. He’s moving down the Ohio River now, however. He’s been named the bench coach for the Cincinnati Reds, where he’ll be new manager Bryan Price’s right-hand man. The Pirates confirmed the move this morning.
As far as stepping-stones go it’s better to be a bench coach than a hitting coach. Especially considering no one has ever been able to demonstrate how one can judge who a good hitting coach is and who a bad one is. Well, except for maybe Larry Parrish, who was awful.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)