Nov 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Jay Bell spent the past season as the Pirates hitting coach. He’s moving down the Ohio River now, however. He’s been named the bench coach for the Cincinnati Reds, where he’ll be new manager Bryan Price’s right-hand man. The Pirates confirmed the move this morning.
As far as stepping-stones go it’s better to be a bench coach than a hitting coach. Especially considering no one has ever been able to demonstrate how one can judge who a good hitting coach is and who a bad one is. Well, except for maybe Larry Parrish, who was awful.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)