Nov 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
After choosing not to renew longtime Charlie Manuel right-hand man Rich Dubee’s contract the Phillies turned their attention to finding a new pitching coach and … well, it’s been a struggle.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have talked to eight known candidates for the job and at least three of them (Pete Vuckovich, Roger McDowell, Jim Benedict) told them no thanks.
Or as general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. put it:
We’ve made a couple of offers and they’ve decided to go different places. We’ve made some progress, but we haven’t made any decisions. We’re still in the process. We’ve identified a few guys, but we’re still working through it. We still have candidates. And we’re still looking through some other possibilities.
Hey, assuming that Amaro knows how to use Twitter there’s always Leo Mazzone!
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)