Nov 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
After choosing not to renew longtime Charlie Manuel right-hand man Rich Dubee’s contract the Phillies turned their attention to finding a new pitching coach and … well, it’s been a struggle.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies have talked to eight known candidates for the job and at least three of them (Pete Vuckovich, Roger McDowell, Jim Benedict) told them no thanks.
Or as general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. put it:
We’ve made a couple of offers and they’ve decided to go different places. We’ve made some progress, but we haven’t made any decisions. We’re still in the process. We’ve identified a few guys, but we’re still working through it. We still have candidates. And we’re still looking through some other possibilities.
Hey, assuming that Amaro knows how to use Twitter there’s always Leo Mazzone!
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)