Nov 12, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
DeRosa lasted longer than a lot of people thought he might. Sixteen seasons, to be exact, with time spent in Atlanta, Texas, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, Cleveland St. Louis and Toronto. A utility guy for the most part, DeRosa spent the most time at second and third base, but saw stints in the outfield, first base and even 140 games at short.
DeRosa had only four seasons in which he had over 500 plate appearances, but he timed them right, parlaying some good years as a starter into two pretty nice free agent contracts. One from the Cubs after the 2006 season and one from the Giants following the 2009 campaign. As for batting, he finishes his career with a line of .268/.340/.412 with an even 100 homers and 494 RBI.
An Ivy Leaguer, DeRosa has a reputation for being a smart cookie and a good clubhouse guy. He has also dipped his toe into broadcasting, and there’s a very good shot that his retirement was spurred on by a good offer to make that his regular gig. Perhaps with the Cubs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)