Shelby Miller on lack of playoff action: “You can’t be mad about it now”

Nov 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Colorado Rockies v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Right after the World Series ended Shelby Miller talked publicly about being confused by the Cardinals not using him throughout the playoffs, but yesterday he took a slightly different tact in discussing the issue.

In talking to reporters after finishing third in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting, Miller said:

You can’t be mad about it now. I’m not even worried about that at all. That’s in the past. I just wish we could have won. … You look at the guys we had and how they were performing. There was no reason to change anything up. That’s how I look at it. …

It was different because I didn’t expect it to go like that. But, at the same time, it’s not my decision on how I’m used. I respect everybody on the team, everybody who’s part of the organization and I especially respect Mike’s decision with anybody on the team.

Miller won 15 games with a 3.06 ERA and 169 strikeouts in 173 innings during the regular season, but appeared in just one playoff game as a mop-up man.

1. blues1988 - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM

great answer Shelby. we were all just as confused as you were buddy. the series wouldn’t have gone any different if he played though because pitching wasn’t the problem, hitting was, but i would have liked to see him get some work. I’m really hoping we don’t move him in off season, i like him a lot.

2. stex52 - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Pretty much agree with blues here. The series was lost on hitting.

While Shelby was pretty much out of gas from late August on, it’s difficult to see how he wouldn’t have been useful for spot relief work. He would have been unhittable for an inning or two. And I still wonder why he was on the roster if they didn’t want to use him. Could have used another hitter.

3. bjthrift - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Glad to hear this kind of answer coming from a young player.

• bigdicktater - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Amen brother! Sure hope the Giants can trade for this kid.

4. gibbyfan - Nov 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Hope he is with us for many years to come……….hate to see any trade talk involving him….To my way of thinking he and Yadi should be virtually untouchable

5. moogro - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM

It’s “take a slightly different tack” as in direction. Like in sailing. Tact is something you use or apply. Tack is something you take.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug