Nov 12, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
The Los Angeles Dodgers spend a lot of money and the accusation has been flung around that they want to just buy a World Series title. But no sense going through life with one hand tied behind your back: the Dodgers are serious about building from within too. To wit: Keith Law of ESPN is reporting that they just hired Roy Clark away from the Washington Nationals.
Clark has been a Nationals assistant GM and v.p. of player personnel for the past four years. Before that he was the Braves longtime scouting director. He joined the Braves when they were a laughingstock in the late 80s and helped build arguably the best pipeline of talent in all of baseball over the course of 20 years. When he joined the Nationals at the end of the 2009 season they were thought of as a laughingstock too. They are no longer.
It’s hard to tell from afar how much input any one person has on the player development process, but Clark has been at the scene of a couple of pretty great turnarounds, and his eye for talent is considered among the best in the game. The Dodgers just hired themselves a good one.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)