Nov 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Surprisingly, one club that comes up from time to time is the Marlins. The theory: They are further along than you think because of their accumulation of young talent and no owner has proven more impetuous – in spending and selling off – than Miami’s Jeffrey Loria.
But it’s not happening now. It was, Sherman suggests, a decision that was just recently made out of practicality or some such.
I’d be really curious to hear what Robinson Cano’s agents would say — in private anyway — about the notion of him signing with the Marlins. Methinks that, based on that, Marlins sources could say anything they want about how seriously they were considering making a run at Cano and it wouldn’t have made a difference.
Remember kids: free agent deals take two sides. The team and the player. If you hear from just one side about how serious they are and the signing makes absolutely no sense for the other side, you’re likely reading a p.r. piece, not a real report of anything serious.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)