Nov 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Surprisingly, one club that comes up from time to time is the Marlins. The theory: They are further along than you think because of their accumulation of young talent and no owner has proven more impetuous – in spending and selling off – than Miami’s Jeffrey Loria.
But it’s not happening now. It was, Sherman suggests, a decision that was just recently made out of practicality or some such.
I’d be really curious to hear what Robinson Cano’s agents would say — in private anyway — about the notion of him signing with the Marlins. Methinks that, based on that, Marlins sources could say anything they want about how seriously they were considering making a run at Cano and it wouldn’t have made a difference.
Remember kids: free agent deals take two sides. The team and the player. If you hear from just one side about how serious they are and the signing makes absolutely no sense for the other side, you’re likely reading a p.r. piece, not a real report of anything serious.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (144)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)