Nov 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
As are many other teams, reports Jon Heyman. Including the Angels and the Diamondbacks, for whom he took a hometown discount last season.
The Yankees interest is understandable. For one thing they probably wish they had him last year when your momma woulda been an upgrade at third base most days. Chavez, meanwhile, hit an excellent .281/.332/.478 in part time play for the Snakes. For another they may very well be without Alex Rodriguez for most or possibly even all of the 2014, depending on how long of a suspension he winds up with. And Chavez might be a better option than A-Rod even if he wasn’t suspended.
Of course a lot of teams would like to have Chavez, who made a mere $3 million last year. He’ll make more this year. Much more.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)