Nov 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
As are many other teams, reports Jon Heyman. Including the Angels and the Diamondbacks, for whom he took a hometown discount last season.
The Yankees interest is understandable. For one thing they probably wish they had him last year when your momma woulda been an upgrade at third base most days. Chavez, meanwhile, hit an excellent .281/.332/.478 in part time play for the Snakes. For another they may very well be without Alex Rodriguez for most or possibly even all of the 2014, depending on how long of a suspension he winds up with. And Chavez might be a better option than A-Rod even if he wasn’t suspended.
Of course a lot of teams would like to have Chavez, who made a mere $3 million last year. He’ll make more this year. Much more.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (127)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)