Nov 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
As are many other teams, reports Jon Heyman. Including the Angels and the Diamondbacks, for whom he took a hometown discount last season.
The Yankees interest is understandable. For one thing they probably wish they had him last year when your momma woulda been an upgrade at third base most days. Chavez, meanwhile, hit an excellent .281/.332/.478 in part time play for the Snakes. For another they may very well be without Alex Rodriguez for most or possibly even all of the 2014, depending on how long of a suspension he winds up with. And Chavez might be a better option than A-Rod even if he wasn’t suspended.
Of course a lot of teams would like to have Chavez, who made a mere $3 million last year. He’ll make more this year. Much more.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)