Nov 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
As are many other teams, reports Jon Heyman. Including the Angels and the Diamondbacks, for whom he took a hometown discount last season.
The Yankees interest is understandable. For one thing they probably wish they had him last year when your momma woulda been an upgrade at third base most days. Chavez, meanwhile, hit an excellent .281/.332/.478 in part time play for the Snakes. For another they may very well be without Alex Rodriguez for most or possibly even all of the 2014, depending on how long of a suspension he winds up with. And Chavez might be a better option than A-Rod even if he wasn’t suspended.
Of course a lot of teams would like to have Chavez, who made a mere $3 million last year. He’ll make more this year. Much more.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)