Nov 12, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
As are many other teams, reports Jon Heyman. Including the Angels and the Diamondbacks, for whom he took a hometown discount last season.
The Yankees interest is understandable. For one thing they probably wish they had him last year when your momma woulda been an upgrade at third base most days. Chavez, meanwhile, hit an excellent .281/.332/.478 in part time play for the Snakes. For another they may very well be without Alex Rodriguez for most or possibly even all of the 2014, depending on how long of a suspension he winds up with. And Chavez might be a better option than A-Rod even if he wasn’t suspended.
Of course a lot of teams would like to have Chavez, who made a mere $3 million last year. He’ll make more this year. Much more.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)