Nov 12, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Tim Hudson is one of the few free agents I can remember who actually signed with a team near where he grew up, so it’s probably not smart to totally dismiss the idea of him wanting to stay in Atlanta. But the dude was young and rich in the Bay Area once upon a time too, and probably enjoyed it, so maybe — if a sense of “home” matters to him — this from Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle makes sense:
One of the Giants’ chief pitching targets is Tim Hudson. Two potential obstacles to signing him appear to be non-issues now. First, sources said, the Alabama native and Georgia resident is willing to move across the country again to pitch for the right team. Second, the Braves apparently offered him a contract with a significantly smaller salary than he earned last year, one he is not inclined to accept.
I really don’t get the Braves lowballing Hudson after so many people on the team — players and manager Fredi Gonzalez — have talked about wanting him back. But then again, if we’ve learned anything this week it’s that the Braves are gonna zig when you think they’ll zag.
But of course in all seriousness, hometowns and the desires of people without skin in the game matter very little when it comes to free agency. It’s almost always about the money.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)