Nov 13, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Lee reports that the contract also includes an option for 2015, so the 36-year-old might stick around in Oakland for a couple seasons.
Punto has played for four teams in the past four seasons, hitting .247 with a .658 OPS in 354 games over that span. Good plate discipline keeps him from being a total non-factor offensively and Punto remains a standout defensive infielder into his mid-30s. Toss in switch-hitting, good speed, and a reputation for being a plus in the clubhouse and he’s an ideal utility man.
UPDATE: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Punto will get $2.75 million for 2014 and has a $2.75 million vesting option or a $250,000 buyout for 2015, so it’s officially a one-year, $3 million deal.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)