A’s sign Nick Punto

Nov 13, 2013, 2:14 PM EST

NLCS - St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Nick Punto has agreed to a one-year deal with the A’s, according to Jane Lee of MLB.com.

Lee reports that the contract also includes an option for 2015, so the 36-year-old might stick around in Oakland for a couple seasons.

Punto has played for four teams in the past four seasons, hitting .247 with a .658 OPS in 354 games over that span. Good plate discipline keeps him from being a total non-factor offensively and Punto remains a standout defensive infielder into his mid-30s. Toss in switch-hitting, good speed, and a reputation for being a plus in the clubhouse and he’s an ideal utility man.

UPDATE: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Punto will get $2.75 million for 2014 and has a $2.75 million vesting option or a $250,000 buyout for 2015, so it’s officially a one-year, $3 million deal.

1. paxnov - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Dodger fans will miss him. Good luck Shredder

• mick2014 - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Does Punto’s contract include a mandatory spring training class on not getting picked off 2nd base? I think Kolten Wong is already registered.

2. jwbiii - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I miss Bat Grrl.

3. aphillieated - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM

$2 mil for Punto? How do I get a team to come see me play? I’m good and I’m still young. Heck, don’t even have to pay me millions I’ll be good with thousands :) I can hit 95+ on the gun, I’m not even lying.

• Caught Looking - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Go away Jose. You’re done.

• Patrick R. - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

There is so much hilarious here. I love it.

4. eagles512 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

How is this guy still in the game?

5. 18thstreet - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My world makes no sense. One of the worst players I’ve ever seen (when he was with Boston, anyway) playing for one of the smartest franchises.

I don’t get it.

6. bh192012 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Somebody splain to me why we added Nick Punto to Jed Lowrie + Eric Sogard/Albert Callaspo?

• clydeserra - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Callaspo doesn’t play SS.

its the best I can do.

7. wogggs - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Start printing the playoff tickets…

8. APBA Guy - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

This one is a head scratcher. It’s true the A’s needed an upgrade defensively at short, but Punto as an everyday player will be a huge offensive downgrade. He makes Callaspo redundant, but Callaspo has a $ 4.8M deal for 2014. In addition, Punto made $ 1.5M last year, so the G & P Beane just about doubled Nick’s salary.

Looking deeper at the stats, we see that Punto was a 2.2 WAR player last year, of which 1.5 was dWAR. Callaspo was a .1 WAR, of which -.8 was dWAR.

So Punto at least makes more sense than Callaspo, though Callaspo is better offensively by the thinnest of margins.

But as I said, there is that small matter of the 2014 contract for Callaspo.

Sounds like the G & P Beane will be including Callaspo in any trade for Mr. Anderson.

9. yahmule - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Nick Punto is 100 Percent Pure Hustle

10. billybawl - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

It still seems strange to build a ballclub out of so many utility players, but its worked for the A’s the past two years. Deep bench is the new OBP.

11. wetmorepsu12 - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Nick Punto has always been one of my favorite players since he left the Phils. Always loved his versatility and stellar defense.

12. rjostewart - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

It’ll all make sense when they trade him along with their three biggest contracts next August.

• hcf95688 - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM

moron

13. deathmonkey41 - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

This story has just the right amount of Punto in it.

14. marvstarv - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Just one more former Red Sox on the As

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5978)