Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Carlos Rodon has been the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft for a long time now and the Astros hold the top selection for the third straight season, so Houston is sending some representatives to meet with the North Carolina State left-hander.
Here’s what scouting director Mike Elias told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Every year we’re picking at the top of the draft we have made it a point to meet the candidates in some way, shape or form prior to the draft. That includes scouts responsible for scouting the players, members of the front office and me.
We try to get to know the kids personally so we have some relationship and feel for his personality and relationship history going into the process. We’re doing that with several players this winter, particularly college ones over the winter time.
Certainly a lot can change between now and June, but there’s no doubt that Rodon will enter the college season as the consensus top-ranked player in the country.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)