Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Carlos Rodon has been the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft for a long time now and the Astros hold the top selection for the third straight season, so Houston is sending some representatives to meet with the North Carolina State left-hander.
Here’s what scouting director Mike Elias told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Every year we’re picking at the top of the draft we have made it a point to meet the candidates in some way, shape or form prior to the draft. That includes scouts responsible for scouting the players, members of the front office and me.
We try to get to know the kids personally so we have some relationship and feel for his personality and relationship history going into the process. We’re doing that with several players this winter, particularly college ones over the winter time.
Certainly a lot can change between now and June, but there’s no doubt that Rodon will enter the college season as the consensus top-ranked player in the country.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)