Astros set to meet with projected No. 1 pick Carlos Rodon

Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Carlos Rodon AP

Carlos Rodon has been the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft for a long time now and the Astros hold the top selection for the third straight season, so Houston is sending some representatives to meet with the North Carolina State left-hander.

Here’s what scouting director Mike Elias told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:

Every year we’re picking at the top of the draft we have made it a point to meet the candidates in some way, shape or form prior to the draft. That includes scouts responsible for scouting the players, members of the front office and me.

We try to get to know the kids personally so we have some relationship and feel for his personality and relationship history going into the process. We’re doing that with several players this winter, particularly college ones over the winter time.

Certainly a lot can change between now and June, but there’s no doubt that Rodon will enter the college season as the consensus top-ranked player in the country.

1. stex52 - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Perhaps we can turn this into an annual November ritual for Major League Baseball:

1. Top amateur draft choice is identified.
    2. Astros, holders of the #1 choice for another year, hold their first meeting with him.

I say we build it into a real tradition, with flags and tuxedos and fireworks and everything. We could be doing it for years and years.

2. jeffa43 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Stex… It’s a little early in the baseball season to start up with you…. April is just around the corner, and I think it is safe to say you have not been attending your “NA” meetings. (Negitiviity anonymous)

We can’t keep having these talks, you eventually need to figure this out on your own.

Stros are on a path that will keep them at the top for a long time. We won all 6 minor league divisions last year. We are #1 in minor league systems. We had been dead last #30 for half a decade.

Hoes, Grossman were awesome trade pick ups, and Springer will set that outfield. I’m wasting my breath here.
    They are building something special, and doing it the right way with a thick replenishing system.

Pull your head out! I don’t want you sharing my joy on here in 2015… When we start looking like its close.

Go Stros!

• stex52 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Hey, Jeff! Good to hear from you.

Fifteen losses in a row to end the season gave me a bit of a reality check.

I have very high hopes for Springer and Singleton. But they both have to work just for starters. There are so many holes in the team it will take at least two or three classes of farm boys to make them contenders. And they will slow down their spending some. I don’t know if you heard, but the Cable network is going into bankruptcy. Don’t think that won’t slow things down.

Hoes and Grossman were about average or slightly below for outfielders on the stats. It’s a small sample and they are very young, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Then you have the whole infield (except possibly Vilar) to deal with.

My hopeful prognosis:

2014 – Still quite bad, but an over/under of 100 losses.
      2015 – Gradual transition into respectability, but under .500
      2016 – A chance to be the 2012 Pirates

3. jeffa43 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I like your hopeful prognosis….. I still think that we will be a year ahead of your thoughts. I think we will be above .500 in 2015, and be right there in 2016

I cant argue with your reply, but my reasoning is that I think are starting pitching will be awesome by 2015. Villar should be traded to St. Loui for one of their starters they are shopping. We wont be good for a couple of years, and by then we will have 2012 #1 pick at SS. We also have Nolan Fontana as another SS prospect.

And, you were right about the record in 2013, so when you make it out to So. Cal. Wings and beers are on me. I am a man of my word.

And…. not being able to watch Astro broadcasts for half of the season last year… SUCKED. Watching them for the half of the season also sucked, but that was by my choice. If they screw that up again this year….. there is no excuse for that. I know they are not good, but I am buying into the future and would like to watch them develop from suck, to not suck, to… they are getting better.

Crane fix it!

4. bdickey33 - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

People still talk about the Astros? Just kidding guys I’m a Cubs fan and hoping for the same path of hopefully not sucking so bad in 2014!

• stex52 - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Come join the self-pity party! always room for more. :-)

• jeffa43 - Nov 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yes… The Stros have two fans… and we argue….

But! I know we will appreciate the wins more than most…. when they start coming in bunches.

As for the Cubs…. You guys got Jim Deshais, and that still has me livid. Good Luck with those Cubs, wish we were still rivals.. Good Times! So does Stex.

• stex52 - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM

With you 100% on the Deshaies thing, too, Jeff. Boy do I miss him.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3220)