Nov 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Justin Masterson has one season remaining before free agency, with a big payday coming via arbitration, but the Indians right-hander is hoping to sign a long-term contract extension before hitting the open market.
Masterson’s agent, Randy Rowley (agent’s have great names, huh?), told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he’d like to talk to the Indians about a deal but isn’t in a hurry. As for the Indians, general manager Chris Antonetti said it’s “potentially” something to broach between now and spring training.
Usually when a good player is just a year away from free agency the motivation to sign an extension is minimal and Masterson is 29 years old coming off his first All-Star season, but if the Indians are willing to hand out a big five- or six-year offer? Sounds like he’d be interested.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)