Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
A great hot stove season meme is “[Team] drawing lots of interest in [good, probably unavailable player], more likely to trade [not as good player].” Here’s a classic of the genre, from the L.A. Times:
Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier andCarl Crawford have drawn interest on the trade market over the first two days of the general managers’ meetings .. Of the four, the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade Puig, who turns 23 next month.
Shocking that the youngest, cheapest, most totally team-controlled, healthy, popular and quite possibly talented of the foursome is the one the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade.
I think Dylan Hernandez makes a great point in the article, though: why not keep all four? What are the odds that you’re going to have all four of them healthy at any given time next year anyway? Maybe it’s different if the Dodgers think minor leaguer Joc Pederson is ready to contribute to the big club, but he’s probably in need of some seasoning first.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)