Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
A great hot stove season meme is “[Team] drawing lots of interest in [good, probably unavailable player], more likely to trade [not as good player].” Here’s a classic of the genre, from the L.A. Times:
Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier andCarl Crawford have drawn interest on the trade market over the first two days of the general managers’ meetings .. Of the four, the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade Puig, who turns 23 next month.
Shocking that the youngest, cheapest, most totally team-controlled, healthy, popular and quite possibly talented of the foursome is the one the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade.
I think Dylan Hernandez makes a great point in the article, though: why not keep all four? What are the odds that you’re going to have all four of them healthy at any given time next year anyway? Maybe it’s different if the Dodgers think minor leaguer Joc Pederson is ready to contribute to the big club, but he’s probably in need of some seasoning first.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)