Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
A great hot stove season meme is “[Team] drawing lots of interest in [good, probably unavailable player], more likely to trade [not as good player].” Here’s a classic of the genre, from the L.A. Times:
Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier andCarl Crawford have drawn interest on the trade market over the first two days of the general managers’ meetings .. Of the four, the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade Puig, who turns 23 next month.
Shocking that the youngest, cheapest, most totally team-controlled, healthy, popular and quite possibly talented of the foursome is the one the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade.
I think Dylan Hernandez makes a great point in the article, though: why not keep all four? What are the odds that you’re going to have all four of them healthy at any given time next year anyway? Maybe it’s different if the Dodgers think minor leaguer Joc Pederson is ready to contribute to the big club, but he’s probably in need of some seasoning first.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)