Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
A great hot stove season meme is “[Team] drawing lots of interest in [good, probably unavailable player], more likely to trade [not as good player].” Here’s a classic of the genre, from the L.A. Times:
Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier andCarl Crawford have drawn interest on the trade market over the first two days of the general managers’ meetings .. Of the four, the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade Puig, who turns 23 next month.
Shocking that the youngest, cheapest, most totally team-controlled, healthy, popular and quite possibly talented of the foursome is the one the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade.
I think Dylan Hernandez makes a great point in the article, though: why not keep all four? What are the odds that you’re going to have all four of them healthy at any given time next year anyway? Maybe it’s different if the Dodgers think minor leaguer Joc Pederson is ready to contribute to the big club, but he’s probably in need of some seasoning first.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 9
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)