Nov 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
A great hot stove season meme is “[Team] drawing lots of interest in [good, probably unavailable player], more likely to trade [not as good player].” Here’s a classic of the genre, from the L.A. Times:
Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier andCarl Crawford have drawn interest on the trade market over the first two days of the general managers’ meetings .. Of the four, the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade Puig, who turns 23 next month.
Shocking that the youngest, cheapest, most totally team-controlled, healthy, popular and quite possibly talented of the foursome is the one the Dodgers are most reluctant to trade.
I think Dylan Hernandez makes a great point in the article, though: why not keep all four? What are the odds that you’re going to have all four of them healthy at any given time next year anyway? Maybe it’s different if the Dodgers think minor leaguer Joc Pederson is ready to contribute to the big club, but he’s probably in need of some seasoning first.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)