The Orioles may make Matt Wieters available

Nov 13, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Boston! Colorado! Philly! Anyone! Before you spend a lot of money on a stopgap like Carlos Ruiz, may I interest you in this shiny Matt Wieters?

It’s hard to imagine many teams who wouldn’t like a plus defensive catcher with some pop who still isn’t making boatloads of money. And who, while not yet having fulfilled the insane amount of hype he had when he was a prospect, would surprise no one if he just went off one year and posted near-MVP numbers.

1. drinkpeepee - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

funny how people have pretty much nothing good to say about him until he is potentially available and can make their team better. and there is a 0% chance Baltimore is trading him to Boston, just to be clear.

• missthemexpos - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This time of year when it comes to available ball players, everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid

• inserthandle - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The Orioles aren’t winning a championship with the pitching they have now. If he won’t talk extension, I’d pull the trigger on a serious offer. But this is all academic. Angelos’s days of constant meddling may be over, but he’ll still veto trading a home-grown cornerstone.

• drinkpeepee - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I agree, but the offer would have to be very impressive. For all his faults (mainly his offense), he does a great job of making pitchers better.

• @Cereal_22 - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I could see that because he’s a terrible team owner

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I hear he is a bust.

• historiophiliac - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Ha!

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

First thing I thought when opening this up is, I hope ‘scouts’ posted!

• aceshigh11 - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I was hoping you’d post here. :)

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Like I would miss out on a post like this one. I only wish I had something more elaborate to add to the discussion. Nice to see I’m though of though! Thanks guys/gals!

• eightyraw - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM

But who is Weiters?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM

3. broncostevenp - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Price for Weiters straight up.

4. xpensivewinos - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

That noise you hear is Ben Cherington scratching his head, trying to figure out the other team he can include in this 3-way deal. :)

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Second thing I thought when opening this article.

5. psuorioles - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Now the Oriole’s need to make Markakis available via trade and this will be one happy O’s fan…

• @Cereal_22 - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

No chance they can move his contract. Still, he’s a solid player & should be a good leadoff man next year.

• psuorioles - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

$15 million lead-off man with no speed or power… but hey, at least he can work the count a bit before he pops up or hits a lazy flyball to left field.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

He stopped hitting opposite field effectively. Well, he stopped hitting effectively. Hopefully it was just an off year and he’ll be back in proper form next year. I’m really hoping his personal life didn’t cause his professional career to take a hit…

6. aphillieated - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Kyle Kendrick, Papelbon and cash for Wieters.

• zzalapski - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Monopoly money is not legal tender.

7. stex52 - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Forget this Ike Davis crap. This is a free agent I could get into seeing at Houston.

8. pastabelly - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Carlos Ruiz might be a better stop gap for the Red Sox and I don’t doubt that they are the team with the offer in already to Ruiz. Even though the Sox would be spending the same amount over two years, no compensation to another team is required. The problem the Red Sox have with Salty is that those two kids in the farm system are two years away and it probably makes no sense to sign Salty to anything beyond three years. It’s a bit of a cunundrum. The good thing for the Red Sox with Wieters is that it takes one more team that needs a catcher out of play for the other catchers on the market.

9. kinggeorge96 - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Buck is saying, “I told you so..”

10. eightyraw - Nov 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Max Marchi has Wieters’s framing skills costing the Orioles nearly 1 win in 2013

11. jpalughi823 - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

i’m pissed his batting average has been garbage, but with that being said they need to keep him. has pop in the bat, durable, gold glove defense & handles the 400 different pitchers the O’s trot out there on a yearly basis

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3448)