Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Freese is coming off a down year, he’s about to get expensive via arbitration, and the Cardinals could replace him by shifting Matt Carpenter to third base and installing rookie Kolten Wong at second base.
Even in a disappointing season Freese hit .262 with a .740 OPS and he’s a year removed from hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS, so with Alex Rodriguez‘s status always uncertain it’s no secret why the Yankees might be interested if the price was right.
Freese, who’ll turn 31 years old in April, is under team control for 2014 and 2015 after making $3.15 million this year.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)