Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Freese is coming off a down year, he’s about to get expensive via arbitration, and the Cardinals could replace him by shifting Matt Carpenter to third base and installing rookie Kolten Wong at second base.
Even in a disappointing season Freese hit .262 with a .740 OPS and he’s a year removed from hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS, so with Alex Rodriguez‘s status always uncertain it’s no secret why the Yankees might be interested if the price was right.
Freese, who’ll turn 31 years old in April, is under team control for 2014 and 2015 after making $3.15 million this year.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)