Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Freese is coming off a down year, he’s about to get expensive via arbitration, and the Cardinals could replace him by shifting Matt Carpenter to third base and installing rookie Kolten Wong at second base.
Even in a disappointing season Freese hit .262 with a .740 OPS and he’s a year removed from hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS, so with Alex Rodriguez‘s status always uncertain it’s no secret why the Yankees might be interested if the price was right.
Freese, who’ll turn 31 years old in April, is under team control for 2014 and 2015 after making $3.15 million this year.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 75
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)