Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Freese is coming off a down year, he’s about to get expensive via arbitration, and the Cardinals could replace him by shifting Matt Carpenter to third base and installing rookie Kolten Wong at second base.
Even in a disappointing season Freese hit .262 with a .740 OPS and he’s a year removed from hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS, so with Alex Rodriguez‘s status always uncertain it’s no secret why the Yankees might be interested if the price was right.
Freese, who’ll turn 31 years old in April, is under team control for 2014 and 2015 after making $3.15 million this year.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)