Nov 14, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT
Goldschmidt finished second with 242 points to McCutchen’s 409. He was second on 15 of the 30 ballots. Yadier Molina finished third with 219 points. He got the two first-place votes that didn’t go McCutchen, both coming from St. Louis Post-Dispatch scribes.
After Molina were Matt Carpenter (194), Freddy Freeman (154), Joey Votto (149), Clayton Kershaw (146), Hanley Ramirez (58), Carlos Gomez (43), Jay Bruce (30), Craig Kimbrel (27) and Shin-Soo Choo (23). Goldschmidt and Gomez were the only players in the top 12 not to be part of a playoff team.
Barry Bonds was the Pirates’ previous MVP, winning in 1990 and 1992. Before that, Willie Stargell was co-MVP with Keith Hernandez in 1979 and Dave Parker won the award in 1978.
McCutchen hit .317/.404/.508 with 21 homers, 84 RBI and 27 steals to lead the Pirates’ on their surprising postseason run last season. He had even better numbers in 2012 (.327/.400/.553, 31 HR, 96 RBI), but he settled for one first-place vote and a third-place finish in the MVP balloting then with the Pirates winning 15 fewer games (79-83 to 94-68).
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)