Nov 14, 2013, 9:07 AM EDT
With the caveat being that the devil is in the details, a couple of Cobb County Commissioners spoke to the Marietta Daily Journal about the financing for the new Braves ballpark. And they say the Braves are paying 55% of the cost:
“The other 45 percent will be funded without a tax increase for over 95 percent of Cobb County residents,” [county chairman Tim] Lee said. “This is a public-private partnership and the Braves are paying for 55 percent of the cost.”
Commissioner Helen Goreham, who has been reviewing the proposal, said she is a fan.
“I’m very comfortable with it,” Goreham said. “The taxpayers are going to be pleased with the arrangement that is going to be shared with the media very shortly.”
Worth noting that Goreham also said that “I believe that those who are going to benefit the most from the Braves moving to Cobb County will be the ones that will be making the largest investment in it.” Which makes one wonder: if the Braves are at 55% and the ones that benefit the most will be the largest investors, can we dispense with the notion that this will be a boon to residents?
Haha, just kidding. They’re gonna continue doing that. They’ll also continue to be cagey about how much of a public investment it is. That “without a tax increase for 95 percent of residents” comment is spin, of course, as is any situation in which you ask for numbers and someone tells you who isn’t paying.
Details are supposed to come out on November 26. Until then, view this kind of talk as primarily a sales pitch with the details that do come out being only those which benefit the folks making the sale.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)