Derek Jeter is going to become a book publisher

Nov 14, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

jeter getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter isn’t going to retire. He’s going to transition:

On Thursday, he is expected to announce that he will start his own publishing division, Jeter Publishing, a partnership with Simon & Schuster. Saying he had thought a lot about his future while recovering from injuries last season, he portrayed the move as a way to explore a project that combines his interests in business and content.

If asked, I’m guessing most people would not have guessed that “business and content” were to distinct interests of Jeter’s which he was looking to synergize post-playing career. But good for him.

The first Jeter Publishing title is expected to hit the shelves next year. If it’s not a how-to on the jump-throw I’ll be sorely disappointed.

1. Panda Claus - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well we know Jeter has plenty of experience signing baseballs. I wonder how he’ll do signing books.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I am sure that HBT will keep us abreast of this enterprise. I wonder if he plans to publish a modern day version of Playboy?

• drewzducks - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The Jeter Letters or Derek’s Forum ?

• cur68 - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Abreast, eh? ISWYDT

• proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I have nothing more to ad.

2. zzalapski - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Publishers give out gift baskets, don’t they?

3. jaturso - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM

…*two distinct interests of Jeter’s…

4. chip56 - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

You don’t think someone with the kind of money and endorsements that Jeter has would be interested in business?

The quickest way to lose all your money is to be clueless in how to manage it (see Curt Schilling).

5. jbriggs81 - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Publishing??? really? He is choosing to get into a business that has been one of the hardest hit since the internet-age began? Publishers around the country are doing awful right now because print is dead

• anxovies - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Amazon has proved your statement incorrect.

6. moogro - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

“Swim above the sharks of limited lateral movement in business with high jumping brilliance.”

7. emaney477 - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Hey Jbriggs,

You do realize that even books that are online are published, right? It is print media that is suffering due to the Internet. You gotta get ya facts str8. Don’t hate on the man because he’s thinking more outside the box compared to other greats that have retired.

• jbriggs81 - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Yes I do realize that books are published online now and that the industry has changed. In fact, I am well aware of it as I have been in the publishing industry for years. Since I have been in the publishing industry, I am also aware that it is failing miserably. No company, including S&S, is doing well and their futures all look dim. Look at the numbers from ten years ago compared to today. Its a failing industry and I would advise everyone to stay away from investments in the publishing industry because you will lose your money.

8. Caught Looking - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The Jeter Diaries. Soon to be a major motion picture.

• jwbiii - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Tagline, “Show me the, uh, this going to be R rated.”

9. sleepyirv - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Jeter needed an outlet for his interest in 19th-Century Industrial Policy, French Poetry, and the Biological history of the Canine. It was inevitable he would go into publishing.

• cur68 - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hmmmm. “Biological history of the Canine”? Are you being unkind to Minka, or do you mean actual doggies? I sure hope its the latter and not the former because if you’re insulting Minka I’m challenging you to a duel. A duel to the DEATH.

10. ptfu - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

A book of baseball’s unwritten rules?

11. mvd513 - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Gift Baskets, or How To Keep It on the DL.

Yet another WS run for the Giants