Nov 14, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Gomez played 37 games for the Red Sox in 2012, hitting .275 with a .746 OPS as a first baseman/third baseman, and at age 29 has logged nearly 1,500 plate appearances at Triple-A.
His power numbers in the minors have always been impressive and it’s possible he could have worked his way into a bench gig for 2014, but Japan no doubt offers a lot more job security and a bigger pay check after a decade in the minors.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)