Nov 14, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Gomez played 37 games for the Red Sox in 2012, hitting .275 with a .746 OPS as a first baseman/third baseman, and at age 29 has logged nearly 1,500 plate appearances at Triple-A.
His power numbers in the minors have always been impressive and it’s possible he could have worked his way into a bench gig for 2014, but Japan no doubt offers a lot more job security and a bigger pay check after a decade in the minors.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)