Nov 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Boston manager John Farrell has made it clear that he’d like Stephen Drew back, but Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that the free agent shortstop “will not return to the Red Sox” because he has several bigger multi-year offers from other teams.
Drew made $9.5 million this year while hitting .253 with 13 homers and a .777 OPS in 124 games and then rejected the Red Sox’s one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer. If he signs elsewhere Boston will get draft pick compensation and could turn to 21-year-old rookie Xander Bogaerts as the new starting shortstop.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)