Rockies interested in Mike Napoli, James Loney, Justin Morneau

Nov 14, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

mike napoli getty Getty Images

Reports have varied regarding what type of offer the Red Sox have made to re-sign Mike Napoli, but in the meantime Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have expressed interest in the free agent first baseman.

Colorado’s first-round pick is protected, so signing Napoli would cost them a second-rounder instead after he turned down the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Red Sox.

Questions about his health turned a three-year deal into a one-year deal for Napoli last offseason, but he hit .259 with 23 homers and an .842 OPS in 139 games for the Red Sox and now looks to be in line for a big payday.

According to Renck the Rockies are also considering James Loney and Justin Morneau as potential fallback options at first base, so they’re casting a wide net to replace Todd Helton.

1. jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Napoli was at the Celtics game last night so it looks like he’s the Red Sox to lose essentially.

• chip56 - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Good. I hope they give him a nice long term contract. Hip conditions always get better over time so that should work out well for Boston.

• 4d3fect - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Attending a basketball game != contract futures.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

No doubt but the fact that he isn’t spending these times in at his house, say like Jacoby Ellsbury could be something to note. He could be anywhere in the world right now but he’s in Boston, and attending sporting events like the Bruins game on Nov 5th which I attended.

You’re right but it’s something that can’t be totally ignored.

2. yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Denver has a basketball arena with the added bonus of not having to rub elbows with Celtic fans.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I also know that Section 312 at Coors is one of the best views in baseball but you just had to be mean.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Your opinion of Section 312 at Coors changes everything. I retract my prior insult.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Haha, my larger point is, not all of us Boston sports fans are TOTAL jackasses… :D

I just happened to have gone to school at CU Boulder and loved going to Rockies games. The Rockpile is the best deal in baseball even if it’s not still 4 dollars.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

My point is my default setting for dealing with Boston sports fans is to be a TOTAL jackass. This philosophy has served me well, lo these many years. I did suspend my hate for a bit when Andre Dawson played for the Sox. That was pretty magnanimous of me, IMHO.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I feel ya man. I have to live with them all day everyday. Some guy had the audacity to call in and complain about John Farrell’s decisions AFTER he won the WS.

It makes me sad.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Fans are like that. There are people in Denver who talk about Mike Shanahan like he was the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise.

3. gdog97 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Well that’s interesting. All along people have been ‘speculating’ that they would sign a catcher and move Rosario to 1B. They’ve already got Cuddy, CarGo, and Fowler in the OF. So if they sign a 1B that would likely mean Rosario is staying put, or, they are gonna move Fowler after all.

4. stex52 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I think the hip problem still cuts into his value to an NL team. That OPS looks good for 1st base, but I think most teams would look at the health and see the most value at DH.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Decrepit hitter?

5. cocheese000 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Napoli will talk over his contract with the Rockie’s owner while getting hammered at a bar.

6. yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

James Loney is such a heartbreakingly depressing possibility I can’t imagine he won’t be their choice. He’ll be cheap, even coming off what has to be considered his career year. When they sign him, Rockies fans should get ready to hear a lot about his lifetime .338 BA @ Coors Field. They’re already conditioned to having a first baseman who can’t surpass 20 homers in one of the best hitting environments in MLB.

7. justinreds - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Where are they getting the money? Are the Rockies finally done paying Mike Hampton?

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That is funny, but mainly because the Hampton and Neagle signings were all the proof Rockies ownership needed to know free agency was bad. Not that signing pitchers to horrible contracts far above their market value was bad, but all free agent contracts.

8. socialsnit - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Pretty awesome that the Rockies are hellbent on moving Rosario, a guy who has consistently proven his inability to catch the ball, to first base where he will undoubtedly cause Arenado and Tulowitzki’s defense to suffer. Also pretty awesome that the Rockies somehow managed to not notice about 3 years ago that Helton probably should have quit playing 4 years ago and elected to do exactly zero planning for his departure. Typical Rockies.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Wouldn’t you rather have a bad defender at a low priority defensive position like 1B than behind the plate where defense is paramount?

All other criticisms of the organization are valid and merely the tip of the iceberg.

• socialsnit - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would contend that your first baseman needs to be pretty adroit at catching a lot more off-target throws than your typical catcher. Rosario has difficulty catching called strikes – but at least a lot of them bounce off of his chest protector. I would be terrified to sit down the right field line with Rosario at first.

There are a few guys already on the roster that I would be much more comfortable with at first – Cuddyer and Pacheco come to mind. Still not an ideal situation, though.

The Rockies have always had pretty unremarkable offensive catchers – it’s actually kind of a treat to see Rosario back there. I’d be OK with his defensive inability behind the plate if it allowed for a competent first baseman with a modicum of power to be coupled with Rosario’s offensive output.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Rosario did bring down his passed balls from a shocking 21 in 2012 to a still league leading 9 last year, so I think he’s capable of improving. My biggest reservation for putting him @ 1B is that he’s pretty short.

Cuddyer seems like the most logical solution @ 1B. It will keep him healthier, too. I don’t see Pacheco as an every day player and his bat definitely won’t play at first.

• socialsnit - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I hadn’t even considered his height – that is an excellent point.

• ezthinking - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

FYI – Napoli and Rosario are the same height 5’11” or 6’0″ depending on what site you use to look them up.

Lots of praise for Napoli at first this year in the Gold Glove talk. So maybe the height is as big a deal.

9. brewcrewchamps - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Why are they looking for first basemen? Todd Helton has at least another 30 good years in him left.

10. pastabelly - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Napoli might pull a Costanza and go out on top.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB