Scherzer, Kershaw go from Cy Young to contract negotiations

Nov 14, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT

MLB: NLCS-Los Angeles Dodgers at St. Louis Cardinals

It’s been just a little more than 12 hours since Max Scherzer and Clayton Kershaw were named Cy Young Award winners. But we’re already turning to the next chapter in their stories: where they’ll be long term.

Following some speculation that the Tigers could seek to trade Scherzer, who has a year left on his current deal, MLB.com’s Jason Beck reports that Scherzer is open to a contract extension with the Tigers.

“I am open (to a new deal),” Scherzer said. “I realize I’ve got a good situation here in Detroit. But it also takes two to dance … I don’t have any [anxiety] to get anything done, but if something does get done, I’d be happy to do it.”

It’s not entirely clear what kind of deal Scherzer could command. Given his steady improvement over the past two and a half seasons you can’t call his 2013 a fluke, but I don’t feel like there’s a consensus as to whether he is coming off a decided peak career year and will return to being merely good or if he’s now on a nice plateau where he can be expected to be an elite starter for 3-4 more seasons. Dave Dombrowski has to figure that out and the process of figuring that out is what will determine whether Scherzer is dangled or locked up.

Clayton Kershaw is less of an uncertainty. He’s now got two Cy Young Awards and a second placy Cy Young finish in the past three seasons, is three years younger than Scherzer and, barring injury, is clearly a guy who is beginning to put together the peak seasons of a Hall of Famer. As a result of that, he seems far more philosophical about inking a long term deal now:

It was reported in October that the Dodgers had offered Kershaw a $300 million extension during the season or, at the very least, had begun discussions in that direction. That he can look at that and still talk about just having one year ahead of him is pretty close to the dictionary definition of the word “cool.” Whatever the case, though, whether it’s the Dodgers or someone else, Kershaw is going to get a record deal for a pitcher when it’s all said and done.

Two Cy Young award winners who, in the next year or so, could have different addresses. Gentlemen: open your wallets.

1. chill1184 - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I honestly wont be one bit surprise if either pitcher gets at least a $250+ mil contract

2. apkyletexas - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If I’m the Tigers or Dodgers, my contract negotiation with both players starts with their most recent playoff meltdowns that cost the team their series.

If I’m giving a guy $300 million, I’m wondering why he’s giving up 7 earned runs in 4 innings in game 6 of the NLCS to send the Cards to the World Series.

• dtownmytown - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Obviously you did not watch the ALCS, if you did you would have known that in both games that Scherzer pitched when pulled he left with the lead. It was the Tigers bullpen that experienced a meltdown, not Max.

• apkyletexas - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM

No, I watched it, and I thought he could have pitched better. But I’ll give that one to you. I’m still wanting Kershaw to show me more for $300 million though.

But I guess $300 million probably doesn’t buy what it used to. Maybe that’s just the current price for a great pitcher who occasionally melts down at the worst possible time.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Could have pitched better?? He had a no hitter going into the 6th inning in Game 1 for Chrissake.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Game 2..sorry.

• zzalapski - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

That’d be an incredibly stupid way to open contract negotiations. Small sample size much?

Kershaw would’ve lost even if he gave up no ER in 6 IP (his line in Game 2, which counted the same as Game 6), because the Dodgers couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a friggin’ boat in both games.

• stercuilus65 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Poor apkyltexas…

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Hey, he wants to see more for “his” $300 million.

• stex52 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I guess that’s a good place to start from if you have made up your mind that you are moving forward without Kershaw. I’m going to guess that if you decide you need to alienate him that someone else will come along with an enormous check to soothe his injured feelings.

3. jya87 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I have to echo the “you must not have watched the playoffs” sentiment because the explanation for Kershaw’s meltdown was simple: built-up fatigue from going on short rest in the ALDS (no disrespect to the Cardinals). Prior to his last outing, Kershaw had given up 1 earned run over 19 innings.

Anyway if I’m Kershaw I begin negotiations by saying that I took the ball on short rest to clinch the ALDS for my team. Or point at the lowest career ERA of any pitcher with over 1000 innings pitched. Or the 2 Cy Youngs (and presumably more to come).

See more for your money? Get out of here.

4. aceshigh11 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Kershaw will get $800 million over 20 years.

Bank on it.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

With a guaranteed job in the front office hanging out with Magic Johnson afterwards.

5. jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I hope Kershaw brings the actual Cy Young award with him to the negotiations. Just plops in on the table before they start.

6. Zach Chong - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Reblogged this on The Sports Sources Collector.

Three legends off to Cooperstown