Watch Jose Fernandez’s surprise emotional reunion with his grandmother

Nov 14, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT

Jose Fernandez AP AP

The thing that tickled me the most about the furor over Jose Fernandez’s alleged attitude and maturity issues late in the season is that the complaints came from people who haven’t had a fraction of the adversity in their life that Fernandez has had. Comment thread commandos who want to lecture a guy about Playing the Game the Right Way and such.

Reminder: Fernandez came from Santa Clara, Cuba, from which he defected along with his mother and sister in 2008. During the trip his mother fell overboard and could have died, and a young Fernandez rescued her. All of this came after three failed defection attempts, each of which landed the teenaged Fernandez in jail. Yet he and his family kept trying. They wanted to come here and be prosperous so bad that they risked life and limb on multiple occasions to do it.

But go on, folks. Keep talking about how Fernandez “doesn’t have his head straight.” Keep running your mouth about how his priorities are wrong and maturity is lacking. Keep saying how he’s not supposed to show exuberance and emotion. You’re clearly an authority on the matter.

Anyway, one postscript to Fernandez’s journey stateside is that he had to leave his grandmother behind. And Fernandez loved his grandmother.  On Monday, they were reunited after five years. MLB Productions has video of it:

Go on and tell him he doesn’t get it. Then, when you’re done with that, please kindly stuff it.

1. rjmarrella - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM

We forget how hard some people have it. Like midgets and Cubans and such…

2. lyon810 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

One nice thing in his tenure in baseball….well done Jeffrey. Don’t have her deported when you realize her living costs are exceeding your budget

3. rickdobrydney - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I feel great for Fernandez, good for him, and all he has overcome, but Loria is a snake, and he will no doubt trade the kid as soon as he can — that’s an orchestrated PR piece for that clown.

4. darthicarus - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I wanted to put something witty here but someone started chopping onions nearby and I got a bit misty eyed.

5. vanquish0916 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Right in the feels

6. deep64blue - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Man it’s got a bit dusty in here ….

7. aphillieated - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Awww makes me wanna go see my grandma.

• raysfan1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Do. I wish I could.

• stex52 - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Speaking as a grandparent, I can tell you a lot about how she feels, too. I love the occasional happy story.

8. jm91rs - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Cool video, cool story. I have a question though, how can Jeff Loria get someone out of Cuba and into America? If it’s something he can do, why doesn’t he go get all the best players out of Cuba? Jeff Loria: American Villain, Cuban Hero.

Also, did you watch the video all the way to the end? When they’re announcing the “cuban born rookie of the year” winner I’m wondering why he doesn’t look happier and it dawns on me that he’s not sure if it was him or Puig at first. 99 times out of 100 he knows as soon as the he hears the word Cuban, pretty cool that they’re both such great rookies. I hope they spend many years pissing off people like Brian McCann

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM

On a work visa. She’s the new marketing intern.

• ctony1216 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

… or director of player development, pitchers.

9. accipiterq - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Aww, that’s a great video. Really, he seems like a nice young guy; I loved the part at the end where she’s throwing to him. I think I’m going to call my mom now.

10. tfbuckfutter - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Of course of he doesn’t give up his first three years of free agency Loria is going to have her shot.

• stex52 - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Tbuck, you’ve been cold as ice this week. Keep it up. I like it.

11. cur68 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Well. Its a bit to early in the day to be getting all choked up about stuff, so I’m putting it off till I drink too much and get all maudlin.

Great story.

12. whatthehellisansky - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Jeff Loria – kudos for finally using your power to do something good and decent.

Couldn’t be happier for the kid and his family.

13. yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

That was beautiful. Jose’s abuela reminds me of my next door neighbor back in Las Vegas. Such a sweet hearted lady.

14. daubs17 - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

All the those things are completely unsubstantiated and baseless because he is from Cuba and wanted to come to America and couldnt? And because of this video of him and his grandmother? Uhh, ok Craig. I guess all that cancels out what would all otherwise be true statements about Fernandez

• stex52 - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Let me guess. He didn’t defect from Cuba the RIGHT WAY.

• yahmule - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM

No they were completely unsubstantiated and baseless because those misconceptions about him are grounded in the overreactions of a couple of gaping assholes.

15. Old Gator - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

A few missing details: when they escaped from Cuba guards were shooting at them. I mean, seriously shooting at them. When his mother went overboard, it was in a very rough sea – she didn’t “fall overboard” so much as she was pitched out of the boat. That Jose was willing to tackle such a heaving sea without even knowing who it was says a lot more about him than anything that gold-plated schmuck McCann or that gibbering lower primate Chris Johnson said about him.

Whatever else I might think about Scrooge McLoria, it was still a great move by the Feesh.

16. drewzducks - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Where is the rest of the video ? You know, the part where those D bags Fidel and Raul, sorry, I meant McCann and Johnson burst in and drag the poor soul back to her homeland.

17. mississippiguy - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Who the heck said those things about Jose Fernandez? I thought he was pretty much universally beloved. I can’t get enough of the guy myself.

18. Arods Other Doctor - Nov 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I did not realize that having a tough life means it’s fine to be a dick. That’s cool, because I have had a much tougher life than this kid, so I guess I can be an enormous dick and that will be fine with you.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3502)