Albert Pujols’ foot is “99.9 percent healthy”

Nov 15, 2013, 4:49 PM EST

Albert Pujols AP AP

Albert Pujols missed the final two months of the season with a partially torn plantar fascia in his left foot, but the Angels slugger said that his foot is now “99.9 percent healthy.”

Speaking to ESPNDeportes Radio (via Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com), Pujols said:

I feel really happy. Last year … it was a really tough year for me physically, in terms of recovering. But now I feel really good, really excellent. With the foot, I feel 99.9 percent healthy. And with my knee, I’m doing my rehab like always. That’s something where you have to keep doing therapy so that something small doesn’t become something bigger.

In other words, his foot may feel good–Pujols noted that he played through the pain for many years–but the 34-year-old still has some injury issues to deal with as he heads into Year 3 of a 10-year, $240 million contract.

1. bfunk1978 - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM

So is his foot in TBSOIL?

• yahmule - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

TBSOLE

• km9000 - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

How arch.

• moogro - Nov 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

His foot is such a communist fasciitis.

2. NYTolstoy - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

though I lost some of my great respect when he took the huge deal and talked wrong about the cards not going to 10 years I still hope he can find his swing and health again. Hoping he can put maybe 2 or 3 strong years together so the contract doesn’t look so horrid. Also I remember that he said if he no longer produces he will retire because he stated it was not or is not about the money.

• doctornature - Nov 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

” Also I remember that he said if he no longer produces he will retire because he stated it was not or is not about the money”

Yeah…right. I wouldn’t bet the farm on that, if I were you lol.

A betting man would back flying pigs first.

3. asimonetti88 - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hopefully he is healthy, we need him to be back in form next season.

4. losanginsight - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

This makes Arod’s contact seen like a bargain. Hopefully Arte is ready to hand Trout 300+.

• aphillieated - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Trout is coming home :)

• km9000 - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Well, yeah… It’s the offseason.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sounds like a fishy story to me.

5. aphillieated - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

ALBERT, UNLOOOADS, CYA!

6. moseskkim - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

i think pujols can definitely revive his career. he knows how to play ball. his track record proves it. he can DH eventually. i truly believe his health has messed with him, not some lack of motivation or aging too fast or whatever. i think he’ll have something comparable to or better than todd heltons example.. solid production and leave on a high note.

7. yahmule - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Roto leaguers, let someone else draft him. No matter how shrewd your league, he will almost certainly go too high to justify his production at the deepest offensive position.

8. JuniorGriffey'sRecliner - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

We’re really playing fast and loose with the term “slugger” now, aren’t we?

Slugger is as slugger does…

• nbjays - Nov 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You mean like referring to Jeter as a Gold Glove shortstop?

9. asexatheani - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

The more I read about Pujols these days, the more I am glad the Cardinals didn’t resign him. No ill will towards him or any other ex-Cardinals, but it just seems like his best days are behind him and the Angels hung themselves with that albatross of a contract.

10. jeffa43 - Nov 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wow! I feel like I am reading his comments from this time last year…

Then he DH’d all of Spring as he could not walk. He would get pinch ran for, and the other teams had an agreement to let him hit, even after he would be subbed twice a game.

At age 34errrr, 44…. Good Luck!

Ya halos look great… Houston kicked their ass all year.

11. Carl Hancock - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

8 more years. *shaking head*

12. vincentbojackson - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

…and his career is 99.9% over.

13. markofapro - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Loyal Ranger fan continues to laugh.

14. MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

can’t wait to see them give Robby Canoe a 10 year deal and then he goes into decline as well.

15. doctornature - Nov 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

“Foot is 99.9% Healthy”

Bat is being given Last Rights.

Angels talking about trade to Yankees…Vernon Wells redux.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester