Nov 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
A fun reminder from Joel Sherman of the Post. If A-Rod is suspended, the current rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and Joint Drug Agreement allow him to still attend spring training. He just can’t be in uniform for regular season games. What’s more:
Players Association executives told me if MLB or the Yankees attempted to bar Rodriguez from spring training, they would file a grievance arguing it is punishment beyond what is in the JDA.
I sorta feel like an agreement would be reached in which A-Rod simply didn’t go and the Yankees didn’t expect him. Heck, he wasn’t around last year and all he was was injured, not suspended. Veterans hate spring training as it is. If he’s out for the season or more he’s not going to want to be there.
Still: part of me wishes that A-Rod would just embrace all of the silliness and potential chaos his situation will allow. Show up. Go on road trips on busses. Sit for interviews all day. Talk about the Yankees 2014 chances as if he’s gonna be there. Offer up a lot of “just going to take it one game at a time cliches.”
Then sit back and watch the reporters try to figure out what to make of it.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)