Nov 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
A fun reminder from Joel Sherman of the Post. If A-Rod is suspended, the current rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and Joint Drug Agreement allow him to still attend spring training. He just can’t be in uniform for regular season games. What’s more:
Players Association executives told me if MLB or the Yankees attempted to bar Rodriguez from spring training, they would file a grievance arguing it is punishment beyond what is in the JDA.
I sorta feel like an agreement would be reached in which A-Rod simply didn’t go and the Yankees didn’t expect him. Heck, he wasn’t around last year and all he was was injured, not suspended. Veterans hate spring training as it is. If he’s out for the season or more he’s not going to want to be there.
Still: part of me wishes that A-Rod would just embrace all of the silliness and potential chaos his situation will allow. Show up. Go on road trips on busses. Sit for interviews all day. Talk about the Yankees 2014 chances as if he’s gonna be there. Offer up a lot of “just going to take it one game at a time cliches.”
Then sit back and watch the reporters try to figure out what to make of it.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)