If A-Rod is suspended he can still go to spring training

Nov 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

A fun reminder from Joel Sherman of the Post. If A-Rod is suspended, the current rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and Joint Drug Agreement allow him to still attend spring training. He just can’t be in uniform for regular season games. What’s more:

Players Association executives told me if MLB or the Yankees attempted to bar Rodriguez from spring training, they would file a grievance arguing it is punishment beyond what is in the JDA.

I sorta feel like an agreement would be reached in which A-Rod simply didn’t go and the Yankees didn’t expect him. Heck, he wasn’t around last year and all he was was injured, not suspended. Veterans hate spring training as it is. If he’s out for the season or more he’s not going to want to be there.

Still: part of me wishes that A-Rod would just embrace all of the silliness and potential chaos his situation will allow. Show up. Go on road trips on busses. Sit for interviews all day. Talk about the Yankees 2014 chances as if he’s gonna be there. Offer up a lot of “just going to take it one game at a time cliches.”

Then sit back and watch the reporters try to figure out what to make of it.

1. bfunk1978 - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Yeah if I was A-Rod I’d try to troll so hard. then again I guess that’s why he called in sick today.

2. 2dmo4 - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I’m so sick of this purple lipped bastard.

3. chip56 - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Oh, I guarantee that if he’s suspended he’ll show up at spring training…probably with Tacopina in tow.

4. joestemme - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

A-Roid can go Fu#k himself in the spring.

• sportsfan18 - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

He can’t because Bud’s been fvcking him non-stop for a while now.

Is A-Rod wrong? YOU BET his is.

Is Bud wrong? YOU BET he is.

We all know what A-rod has done. He’s done what many other ball players have done.

What did Bud do for years and years and years? Oh yeah, he turned a blind eye.

After a while, it became a black eye on his reign as commissioner and now he’s gotten serious about it as his reign is nearing its completion.

It WAS going to be someone, some player who Bud scapegoated.

Now, A-rod is NOT likable so he makes an easy and convenient target.

PLUS Bud was pissed that Barry Bond’s guy actually went to jail a few times vs. testifying against him.

Bud did NOT want a repeat of Barry “getting away” with it so Bud had MLB change their tactics and threaten to sue, impede a state investigation etc…

Bud thinks going after and nailing A-rod will show he and MLB cares about cleaning up the game. EXCUSE me? Weren’t several other players suspended just this past season? From contenders even like the Rangers and the Tigers?

Nailing A-rod WON’T stop PEDS from being in the game. Even if A-rod were to NEVER play another game, others ARE and WILL continue to use them.

Bud does NOT care about that. His single focus is to nail A-rod. Then he will feel good while moving on with the rest of his life even though that won’t take away the fact that BUD turned a blind eye to all of this for yrs and yrs during his tenure as commissioner as well as the fact that PEDS are still in the game and will remain in the game.

• tk41 - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

This is a very angry and aggressive response… but I can’t really find anything I disagree with. I like it!

• Old Gator - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Jostemme can go learn a few new words.

Or can he?

• joestemme - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I’m actually a professionally paid writer (believe it or not).

I’m just echoing statements by many folks out there about how A-Roid has tarnished the game.

Saying that MLF and Bud Selig are also ‘at fault’ is both accurate – and, beside the point.

I’m sorry, but, that’s like saying that state, FBI and prosecutor errors in the Billy Bulger case are ‘equal’ to Whitey’s crimes.

They are not. And, neither are MLB’s and Bud’s in regards to A-Roid.

5. ezthinking - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

^^ so this dork gets to post the same lame statement on every story but my criticism of that lame post gets bounced.

Sweet work there opinion police.

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

WordPress seems to have put a curse word filter on…so a lot of words will get a post bounced now if you don’t misspell them.

• ezthinking - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

fvuck that.

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I hear ya.

• historiophiliac - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I really hate “curse.” Can’t you use “cuss” like normal people?

It’s supposed to be 70* tomorrow.

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It was 60 here today, supposed to be in the high 50s all weekend and into next week.

• historiophiliac - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

No more snow? :(

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Nope. Probably not for a while, looks like. Fall weather here in CT is extremely variable, the weather can come from anywhere from directly north to directly south, depending on the shape/strength of the jet stream and the existence of any strong weather patterns from the Caribbean.

• gloccamorra - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

It’s a gosh-darn shame you can’t even quote General Patton accurately anymore.

6. aphillieated - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

A-Rod should give me 1 million dollars.

7. charlutes - Nov 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

once again no one cares what reporters make of anything.

8. stevem7 - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

One has to love it. Thus far, AROD is having a much BIGGER off season than the Yankees. And today’s breaking report that MLB hindered a Florida Department of Health investigation is just gonna be more jet fuel tossed on the fire.

9. gloccamorra - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I thought a circus was limited to three rings. We must be up to a dozen by now – who can keep track of all the “acts”?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey