Nov 15, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Hey, I realize that an actual arm of the Florida government tasked with protecting the health and welfare of Florida citizens has a job to do, but that crap has to go by the wayside when Major League Baseball is getting bad publicity and Bud Selig has a legacy to secure. It’s all about priorities, people:
Major League Baseball officials impeded a Florida Department of Health investigation of Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch by purchasing clinic documents they likely knew had been stolen and had been warned not to obtain, sources close to the investigation told “Outside the Lines.” . . . A state official said the limited scope of the investigation and its conclusion were direct results of MLB officials purchasing documents related to the since-shuttered clinic at the center of a performance-enhancing drug scandal involving Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and at least a dozen other players.
As I’ve said numerous times: I don’t much doubt that Alex Rodriguez and others used PEDs. But I also don’t believe for an instant that Major League Baseball’s efforts to take them down for it are in any way reasonable or proportional to the severity of the players’ transgressions.
If this source is correct, PED-hysteria in baseball has now directly impeded a state investigation. Was this all really worth it?
UPDATE: Excellent point here too:
And of course the MLB’s case against Alex Rodriguez is also based on impeding an investigation, which is hilarious.
— Hunter Felt (@HunterFelt) November 15, 2013
Cue A-Rod with the “I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DAD!” speech.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)