Nov 15, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Hey, I realize that an actual arm of the Florida government tasked with protecting the health and welfare of Florida citizens has a job to do, but that crap has to go by the wayside when Major League Baseball is getting bad publicity and Bud Selig has a legacy to secure. It’s all about priorities, people:
Major League Baseball officials impeded a Florida Department of Health investigation of Biogenesis founder Tony Bosch by purchasing clinic documents they likely knew had been stolen and had been warned not to obtain, sources close to the investigation told “Outside the Lines.” . . . A state official said the limited scope of the investigation and its conclusion were direct results of MLB officials purchasing documents related to the since-shuttered clinic at the center of a performance-enhancing drug scandal involving Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and at least a dozen other players.
As I’ve said numerous times: I don’t much doubt that Alex Rodriguez and others used PEDs. But I also don’t believe for an instant that Major League Baseball’s efforts to take them down for it are in any way reasonable or proportional to the severity of the players’ transgressions.
If this source is correct, PED-hysteria in baseball has now directly impeded a state investigation. Was this all really worth it?
UPDATE: Excellent point here too:
And of course the MLB’s case against Alex Rodriguez is also based on impeding an investigation, which is hilarious.
— Hunter Felt (@HunterFelt) November 15, 2013
Cue A-Rod with the “I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DAD!” speech.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Watch as Dee Gordon belts a ball into the right-center field gap and turns on the jets …
Jun 30, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Gyorko was optioned to the minors on June 10 after batting .210/.282/.311 over his first 131 plate appearances …
Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum will be placed on the disabled list with a forearm bruise to open a rotation spot.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Like pretty much everyone else, actually.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Which was pretty much the only choice they had, yes?
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)