Nov 15, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Dodgers just released their promotional schedule for 2014. Tuesday, September 9th stuck out:
Babe Ruth bobblehead? On the Dodgers?
Well, technically it’s legit. He was a base coach for the Dodgers for one year — 1938. He was hired because he was a popular draw. He was not asked to relay signs to base runners or do anything than show up in a uniform each day. Despite the Babe’s desire to be a manager, he was specifically told that he would not be considered for the Dodgers’ job if it opened up. Which it did after the 1938 season. They gave the gig to Leo Durocher. Ruth never worked in baseball again.
Pretty sad and pathetic post-script for the greatest baseball player who ever lived. But hey, at least the Dodgers get to profit off of him one last time.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)