Nov 15, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Dodgers just released their promotional schedule for 2014. Tuesday, September 9th stuck out:
Babe Ruth bobblehead? On the Dodgers?
Well, technically it’s legit. He was a base coach for the Dodgers for one year — 1938. He was hired because he was a popular draw. He was not asked to relay signs to base runners or do anything than show up in a uniform each day. Despite the Babe’s desire to be a manager, he was specifically told that he would not be considered for the Dodgers’ job if it opened up. Which it did after the 1938 season. They gave the gig to Leo Durocher. Ruth never worked in baseball again.
Pretty sad and pathetic post-script for the greatest baseball player who ever lived. But hey, at least the Dodgers get to profit off of him one last time.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)