Three thoughts on what ‘valuable’ means (yes, it’s more AL MVP discussion)

Nov 15, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT

miguel cabrera getty Getty Images

So here’s the explanation from Bill Ballou of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, who voted Mike Trout 7th on his MVP ballot:

I am a strict constructionist re: “valuable”. If the award were Player of the Year, Trout would get my vote. I’m of the school that in order to have “value” you have to help your team be good, at least to the point of contending. The Angels didn’t truly contend. To fully develop that logic, players from non-contenders should not be listed on the  ballot at all, but the BBWAA insists that we fill out all 10 slots, so I did, even though I did not think there were 10 worthy candidates from contending teams.

OK, three thoughts.

First, I have to say that I respect Bill’s explanation — it’s obvious he thought about his ballot and voted his convictions, and I think that’s the first and most important thing you ask of a voter. I don’t agree with his ballot, of course. I don’t agree with his reasoning. I don’t even think his reasoning is particularly valid since it says clearly on the ballot, “the MVP need not come from a division winner or a other playoff qualifier,” but does not say anything about how you should consider teams on contending teams more valuable.

But Bill is hardly the only person who believes that the MVP should come from a contending team, and he clearly tried to make his ballot reflect that belief not only at the very top but throughout. I respect the consistency of that viewpoint. To be honest, I’m not sure he went far enough. If he was really going to vote this way, he should have voted David Ortiz (8th) and Evan Longoria (10th) ahead of Trout too. They were on playoff teams. Hey, if you’re going to do it, you might as well go all the way.*

*I will say, though, that I can’t quite balance Bill’s uncompromising contender-value philosophy with his decision to vote for Chris Davis OVER Cabrera for MVP. I mean: the Orioles were contenders? Really? You have to stretch pretty far to get there. They were no better than third in the American League East after July 23. They didn’t clinch a .500 record until September 25. They finished ninth in the American League in final record … the Angels finished 10th. So that was a little bit weird.

Second, I find it strange that he says, “If the award were Player of the Year, Trout would get my vote.” That suggests that he really does believe Mike Trout was the best player in the American League this year. I understand that he says he’s a strict constructionist on his definition of value and all that, but I just don’t see how you harmonize those two thoughts: 1. Mike Trout is the best player in the American League; 2. I’m voting him seventh in the MVP voting. Maybe I’m just repeating myself here.

Third, the main thought: I think that I’ve been unfairly blaming too much of this MVP disagreement on the word “valuable.” I have long believed that there was something about the word “valuable” that scrambled people’s minds. I’ve long thought that if the award was simply called “The Best Player Award,” that a lot of this silliness would disappear. But when I read Bill’s quote, for some reason, it hit me all once: That’s probably not true. “Valuable,” the word, has been unfairly maligned and blamed. It’s a perfectly good word. It’s not valuable’s fault.

Bill says he would have voted for Mike Trout had it been called the Player of the Year award. Others have said things like this too. “It’s not Player of the Year,” they say. “It’s most VALUABLE player. There’s a difference.”

OK, let’s pretend we could go back to the beginning and replace “MVP” with “POY.” Would people’s view of the award change? Would there be different winners through the years. I spent too much thought on this and decided: No way. Absolutely nothing would chance. If anything, I think it’s possible people’s view about the award would be even MORE slanted toward narrative and contending teams and so on.

Why? Look at those words. Player of the year. What do you think those words would mean to people if that was the actual name of the award? The word “best” is not in there. If anything that is more vague than Most Valuable Player. I can see the columns in my mind:

“So, you wonder why I voted Miguel Cabrera Player of the Year. Well, it’s right there in the name. It says ‘Player of the YEAR’ That means the player who had the biggest impact on the year. Who is that? Mike Trout? Playing for a team that did not even finish .500? Miguel Cabrera led his team to a division championship. That’s what a Player of the Year does.

“You will hear people say that the award should go to the player with the most value. They will come up with all those “value-based” statistics like VORP and BLURP and MORPY and PAJAMAS. But, notice, the award isn’t called the “Most valuable player” award. That might be Mike Trout. But it says ‘Player of the year.” And this year that’s clearly Miguel Cabrera.”

No, it’s not the word valuable. It comes down to this powerful feeling people have that one player should be able to do much more than one player can do. We like story lines. We like things that add up in our mind. We like to believe that if a player is TRULY great, he somehow will carry his team, any team, to victory — by himself, if necessary. It’s illogical, of course. Baseball is not only a team sport, but a team sport where hitters can only come up once every nine times and pitchers can only pitch once every five days (or for an inning or two here or there). Miguel Cabrera’s team had THREE superb starters (including the first and fourth place Cy Young vote-getters) and a lineup with seven above-average hitters.

But illogical or not, baseball is more fun with the idea that Miguel Cabrera put Detroit on his shoulders and took them to the playoffs while Mike Trout could not do the same in Anaheim. It doesn’t matter if the word is valuable or productive or worthy or crucial. It doesn’t matter if the award is called Most Valuable Player or Player of the Year or American Idol or The Oscar. Miguel Cabrera still would have won.

Latest Posts
  1. White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday

Apr 19, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT

Carlos Rodon Carlos Rodon

White Sox pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is expected to be promoted on Monday.

2. Jesse Hahn might miss next start due to blister

Apr 19, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

jesse hahn getty Getty Images

A’s right-hander Jesse Hahn made an early exit from his start Saturday against the Royals with a blister on his pitching hand and it sounds like he may miss a turn in Oakland’s rotation.

3. Reds manager Bryan Price on Busch Stadium: “I don’t think we anticipate success here”

Apr 19, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

busch stadium getty Getty Images

“Counting games in St. Louis since the start of the 2003 season, the Reds are 3-29-2 in series against the Cardinals.”

4. Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand

Apr 19, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT

travis d'arnaud getty Getty Images

The 26-year-old d’Arnaud had a terrific second half last season for New York and he was off to a very promising start in 2015, hitting .317/.356/.537 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 11 games played.

5. Mets reliever Jerry Blevins has a fractured left forearm

Apr 19, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT

blevins getty Getty Images

Brutal news here for the NL East-leading Mets.

6. Video: Jon Lester throws entire glove to first base for out

Apr 19, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT

jon lester getty Getty Images

Jon Lester appears to have found a solution for his problems making throws to first base …

7. Video: Down on the Farm with Kris Bryant

Apr 19, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

kris bryant

There’s so much gold in this new Red Bull spot for Cubs rookie third baseman Kris Bryant …

8. Yasiel Puig out Sunday with lingering hamstring injury

Apr 19, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

yasiel puig getty Getty Images

Puig, who boasts an .886 through 34 plate appearances, is considered day-to-day.

9. Carlos Carrasco to return to Indians’ rotation Tuesday

Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

carlos carrasco getty Getty Images

Carrasco was lucky to avoid a serious injury. These reschedulings seem to be completely precautionary.

10. Nationals activate Denard Span, option Michael Taylor

Apr 19, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

span getty Getty Images

Span underwent surgery for a sports hernia in December and then needed a followup procedure for a core muscle injury in early March.

11. Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings

Apr 19, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT

giants ring

It’s been a rough first couple of weeks for the 2015 Giants, who sit in last place in the National League West with a record of 4-9 and a -21 run differential. But they got to do some celebrating Saturday night …

12. Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut

Apr 19, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT

garrett richards getty Getty Images

This will be the first start for Richards since he tore the patellar tendon in his left knee last August in Boston.

13. Video: Jason Heyward’s first Cardinals homer

Apr 19, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

heyward getty Getty Images

Jason Heyward hit his first home run as a member of the Cardinals on Saturday in St. Louis …

14. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Apr 19, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT

degrom getty Getty Images

Mark down seven straight wins for the Mets, who will try for a four-game Citi Field sweep of the Marlins on Sunday afternoon behind staff ace Matt Harvey.

15. Rays designate Grant Balfour for assignment

Apr 18, 2015, 11:26 PM EDT

Grant Balfour Grant Balfour

Grant Balfour was designated for assignment following a disastrous Saturday night against the Yankees.

16. Joe Nathan throws off a mound for the first time since suffering an elbow injury

Apr 18, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT

Joe Nathan Joe Nathan

Joe Nathan could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Wednesday.

17. A fun story involving Terry Francona and his dad Tito

Apr 18, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Terry Francona Terry Francona

If you’re in the mood for a laugh, you’ll want to read this story involving Indians manager Terry Francona and his dad Tito.

18. Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI

Apr 18, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT

Kris Bryant Kris Bryant

Kris Bryant, one of baseball’s top prospects, earned his first major league hit and RBI on Saturday afternoon against the Padres.

19. Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch

Apr 18, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

Yordano Ventura Yordano Ventura

More drama involving the Athletics and Royals.

1. K. Bryant (4625)