Three thoughts on what ‘valuable’ means (yes, it’s more AL MVP discussion)

Nov 15, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT

miguel cabrera getty Getty Images

So here’s the explanation from Bill Ballou of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, who voted Mike Trout 7th on his MVP ballot:

I am a strict constructionist re: “valuable”. If the award were Player of the Year, Trout would get my vote. I’m of the school that in order to have “value” you have to help your team be good, at least to the point of contending. The Angels didn’t truly contend. To fully develop that logic, players from non-contenders should not be listed on the  ballot at all, but the BBWAA insists that we fill out all 10 slots, so I did, even though I did not think there were 10 worthy candidates from contending teams.

OK, three thoughts.

First, I have to say that I respect Bill’s explanation — it’s obvious he thought about his ballot and voted his convictions, and I think that’s the first and most important thing you ask of a voter. I don’t agree with his ballot, of course. I don’t agree with his reasoning. I don’t even think his reasoning is particularly valid since it says clearly on the ballot, “the MVP need not come from a division winner or a other playoff qualifier,” but does not say anything about how you should consider teams on contending teams more valuable.

But Bill is hardly the only person who believes that the MVP should come from a contending team, and he clearly tried to make his ballot reflect that belief not only at the very top but throughout. I respect the consistency of that viewpoint. To be honest, I’m not sure he went far enough. If he was really going to vote this way, he should have voted David Ortiz (8th) and Evan Longoria (10th) ahead of Trout too. They were on playoff teams. Hey, if you’re going to do it, you might as well go all the way.*

*I will say, though, that I can’t quite balance Bill’s uncompromising contender-value philosophy with his decision to vote for Chris Davis OVER Cabrera for MVP. I mean: the Orioles were contenders? Really? You have to stretch pretty far to get there. They were no better than third in the American League East after July 23. They didn’t clinch a .500 record until September 25. They finished ninth in the American League in final record … the Angels finished 10th. So that was a little bit weird.

Second, I find it strange that he says, “If the award were Player of the Year, Trout would get my vote.” That suggests that he really does believe Mike Trout was the best player in the American League this year. I understand that he says he’s a strict constructionist on his definition of value and all that, but I just don’t see how you harmonize those two thoughts: 1. Mike Trout is the best player in the American League; 2. I’m voting him seventh in the MVP voting. Maybe I’m just repeating myself here.

Third, the main thought: I think that I’ve been unfairly blaming too much of this MVP disagreement on the word “valuable.” I have long believed that there was something about the word “valuable” that scrambled people’s minds. I’ve long thought that if the award was simply called “The Best Player Award,” that a lot of this silliness would disappear. But when I read Bill’s quote, for some reason, it hit me all once: That’s probably not true. “Valuable,” the word, has been unfairly maligned and blamed. It’s a perfectly good word. It’s not valuable’s fault.

Bill says he would have voted for Mike Trout had it been called the Player of the Year award. Others have said things like this too. “It’s not Player of the Year,” they say. “It’s most VALUABLE player. There’s a difference.”

OK, let’s pretend we could go back to the beginning and replace “MVP” with “POY.” Would people’s view of the award change? Would there be different winners through the years. I spent too much thought on this and decided: No way. Absolutely nothing would chance. If anything, I think it’s possible people’s view about the award would be even MORE slanted toward narrative and contending teams and so on.

Why? Look at those words. Player of the year. What do you think those words would mean to people if that was the actual name of the award? The word “best” is not in there. If anything that is more vague than Most Valuable Player. I can see the columns in my mind:

“So, you wonder why I voted Miguel Cabrera Player of the Year. Well, it’s right there in the name. It says ‘Player of the YEAR’ That means the player who had the biggest impact on the year. Who is that? Mike Trout? Playing for a team that did not even finish .500? Miguel Cabrera led his team to a division championship. That’s what a Player of the Year does.

“You will hear people say that the award should go to the player with the most value. They will come up with all those “value-based” statistics like VORP and BLURP and MORPY and PAJAMAS. But, notice, the award isn’t called the “Most valuable player” award. That might be Mike Trout. But it says ‘Player of the year.” And this year that’s clearly Miguel Cabrera.”

No, it’s not the word valuable. It comes down to this powerful feeling people have that one player should be able to do much more than one player can do. We like story lines. We like things that add up in our mind. We like to believe that if a player is TRULY great, he somehow will carry his team, any team, to victory — by himself, if necessary. It’s illogical, of course. Baseball is not only a team sport, but a team sport where hitters can only come up once every nine times and pitchers can only pitch once every five days (or for an inning or two here or there). Miguel Cabrera’s team had THREE superb starters (including the first and fourth place Cy Young vote-getters) and a lineup with seven above-average hitters.

But illogical or not, baseball is more fun with the idea that Miguel Cabrera put Detroit on his shoulders and took them to the playoffs while Mike Trout could not do the same in Anaheim. It doesn’t matter if the word is valuable or productive or worthy or crucial. It doesn’t matter if the award is called Most Valuable Player or Player of the Year or American Idol or The Oscar. Miguel Cabrera still would have won.

Latest Posts
  1. Justin Verlander threw four simulated innings on Tuesday

May 26, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT

justin verlander getty Getty Images

Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took what might be the final step before a rehab assignment Tuesday afternoon at Oakland’s O.Co Coliseum …

2. Jean Segura to return from fractured pinkie on Friday

May 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT

jean segura getty Getty Images

Brewers shortstop Jean Segura appeared to be in for an extended absence when he landed on the disabled list May 14 with a fracture in the pinkie on his throwing hand …

3. So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on …

May 26, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT

uribe getty Getty Images

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the trade is done and is only awaiting approval from the commissioner’s office.

4. Video: Hunter Pence hit a laser beam homer in Milwaukee

May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

hunter pence getty Getty Images

Check out this laser shot that Hunter Pence crushed Tuesday night at Milwaukee’s Miller Park …

5. Video: Josh Harrison recovers to make a sweet grab

May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT

josh harrison getty Getty Images

This wasn’t really a great catch by Josh Harrison because he bungled the route, but it did look cool …

6. Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild

May 26, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

amaro getty Getty Images

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com Monday that he is tired of fans who “bitch and complain” about the moves made by his front office. He went on an apology tour for those comments Tuesday …

7. Matt Harvey fine to start Friday night against the Marlins after reports of “dead arm” problem

May 26, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

matt harvey getty Getty Images

Mets ace Matt Harvey had the worst start of his young major league career on Saturday against the Pirates, surrendering seven runs in four innings, and manager Terry Collins indicated a few days later that Harvey is fighting through a period of “dead arm.”

8. Brandon Phillips reaggravated his turf toe

May 26, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

brandon phillips getty Getty Images

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips missed back-to-back games earlier this month after being diagnosed with a painful case of turf toe in his left foot, and now the problem has resurfaced.

9. Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday

May 26, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Jonathan Lucroy Getty Getty Images

Lucroy finished fourth in the MVP voting last season.

10. Charter Communications to offer Dodgers broadcasts to its customers in Southern California

May 26, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT

dodgers logo

Charter Communications customers in Glendale, Burbank, Malibu and Long Beach will be getting the Dodgers’ network within the next few weeks.

11. Casey McGehee accepts Giants’ demotion to Triple-A

May 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT

casey mcgehee getty Getty Images

McGehee and his $4.8 million salary predictably cleared waivers.

12. Royals lead the way in the first round of American League All-Star balloting

May 26, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

All-Star Logo

Five starting positions out of nine slots currently belong to Royals players.

13. Johnny Cueto’s MRI comes back clean

May 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Johnny Cueto Getty Images

Good news for the Reds’ biggest trade chit — er, I mean, for their ace.

14. Video: Suuuuure, pitchers use foreign substances because they just want a better grip

May 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

will smith substance arm

In other news, why do we take pitchers at their word when they claim that they’re not really trying to get something extra on the ball?

15. Finger sprain sends Michael Morse to Marlins’ disabled list

May 26, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

Michael Morse Marlins Getty Images

Signed to a two-year, $16 million deal this offseason, Morse has hit just .211 with two homers and a .557 OPS in 37 games.

16. Orioles prospect Dylan Bundy has more arm problems

May 26, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT

dylan bundy orioles getty Getty Images

Bundy was scratched from his scheduled start at Double-A.

1. J. Hamilton (3461)