Nov 16, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Mets GM Sandy Alderson recently said he won’t target players expected to take home a nine-figure contract, like Jacoby Ellsbury or Shin-Soo Choo, but he did state that the 2014 season will be “a new day” for the franchise. Newsday’s Marc Carig writes that Alderson spent 45 minutes on the radio, between WFAN and ESPN New York, reassuring fans that the team will have an active off-season, especially compared to their dormant winter following the 2012 season.
“No,” Alderson said of skimping on players. “No way. Why would we want to do that? I’ve got to watch all those games too, you know.”
The Mets are reportedly seeking a veteran to lead the rotation and another veteran to slot into the back of the bullpen, as well as a shortstop and a corner outfielder to take the place of Lucas Duda when he takes over first base full-time. They have also explored the possibility of trading Ike Davis and Daniel Murphy.
After opening up the 2009 season with a payroll approaching $150 million, poor play from the team and the Madoff scandal forced them to cut it down to $93-94 million over the past two seasons. Additionally, they were paying off the end of the Johan Santana and Jason Bay contracts, reducing their flexibility even further, but both are off the books now.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)