Nov 16, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Mets GM Sandy Alderson recently said he won’t target players expected to take home a nine-figure contract, like Jacoby Ellsbury or Shin-Soo Choo, but he did state that the 2014 season will be “a new day” for the franchise. Newsday’s Marc Carig writes that Alderson spent 45 minutes on the radio, between WFAN and ESPN New York, reassuring fans that the team will have an active off-season, especially compared to their dormant winter following the 2012 season.
“No,” Alderson said of skimping on players. “No way. Why would we want to do that? I’ve got to watch all those games too, you know.”
The Mets are reportedly seeking a veteran to lead the rotation and another veteran to slot into the back of the bullpen, as well as a shortstop and a corner outfielder to take the place of Lucas Duda when he takes over first base full-time. They have also explored the possibility of trading Ike Davis and Daniel Murphy.
After opening up the 2009 season with a payroll approaching $150 million, poor play from the team and the Madoff scandal forced them to cut it down to $93-94 million over the past two seasons. Additionally, they were paying off the end of the Johan Santana and Jason Bay contracts, reducing their flexibility even further, but both are off the books now.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 7
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 88
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)