Nov 16, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Mets GM Sandy Alderson recently said he won’t target players expected to take home a nine-figure contract, like Jacoby Ellsbury or Shin-Soo Choo, but he did state that the 2014 season will be “a new day” for the franchise. Newsday’s Marc Carig writes that Alderson spent 45 minutes on the radio, between WFAN and ESPN New York, reassuring fans that the team will have an active off-season, especially compared to their dormant winter following the 2012 season.
“No,” Alderson said of skimping on players. “No way. Why would we want to do that? I’ve got to watch all those games too, you know.”
The Mets are reportedly seeking a veteran to lead the rotation and another veteran to slot into the back of the bullpen, as well as a shortstop and a corner outfielder to take the place of Lucas Duda when he takes over first base full-time. They have also explored the possibility of trading Ike Davis and Daniel Murphy.
After opening up the 2009 season with a payroll approaching $150 million, poor play from the team and the Madoff scandal forced them to cut it down to $93-94 million over the past two seasons. Additionally, they were paying off the end of the Johan Santana and Jason Bay contracts, reducing their flexibility even further, but both are off the books now.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)