Nov 16, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
Joe Torre managed the Yankees from 1996 to 2007, coinciding with the vast majority of shortstop Derek Jeter‘s playing career. If anyone knows the guy, it’s Torre. Jeter is coming off of an injury-plagued 2013 season, logging a meager 73 plate appearances in 17 games. Because of his age (39) and questionable ability to stay healthy going forward, many solutions to the Jeter “problem” have been suggested, such as using him as a full-time DH, moving him to third base in the event Alex Rodriguez is suspended for the 2014 season, or signing a full-time shortstop and reducing Jeter’s role.
As Brendan Kuty of NJ.com writes, Torre thinks Jeter would take a reduced role if he was convinced it would help the team.
But Joe Torre said he thinks if Jeter feels he’s not playing up to his standards, he might consider a reduced part.
Jeter “will play baseball as long as he’s benefitting the team, whatever the role,” Torre said, speaking outside the 11th anniversary gala for the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation in Chelsea.
Jeter led the league in hits as recently as 2012, logging 216 of them in 740 plate appearances over 159 games at the age of 38. Although the skepticism over his health is warranted, it wouldn’t be shocking if he was able to regain his previous form. Jeter is a free agent after the 2014 season, which may signal his retirement.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)