Max Scherzer doesn’t want the Tigers to trade him

Nov 16, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

max scherzer getty Getty Images

Tigers hurler and winner of the 2013 AL Cy Young award Max Scherzer told MLB Network Radio that he doesn’t want the Tigers to trade him even though he is eligible for free agency after the 2014 season. Via ESPN:

“I don’t want to be traded,” Scherzer said. “I got a great thing going in Detroit, we have a great team. I hope they don’t mess with it. I want to be a Detroit Tiger and hopefully get back to the playoffs and try to do the ultimate goal and win something for the city of Detroit.”

Scherzer also told MLB Network Radio that the two sides haven’t discussed a contract extension. MLB Trade Rumors projects Scherzer to take home $13.6 million in his final year of arbitration eligibility. The 29-year-old right-hander finished the season with a 21-3 record and a 2.90 ERA in 214.1 innings of work. He also compiled a 2.83 ERA in 22.1 innings over three starts and one relief appearance in the playoffs, helping lead the Tigers to the ALCS, where they fell to the Red Sox in six games.

1. historiophiliac - Nov 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

His Heterochromianess, y’all!

I also don’t want him to be traded because I have not yet had a chance to use my heterochromial celebration goggles.

Money has not been an object thus far, so I’m hoping Old Pops Ilitch will cough up for a solid closer and a little something something for the BP. Please, Daddy Warbucks.

2. dawgpoundmember - Nov 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Left out the best part of his statement about staying with the Tigers, via Josh Slagter of MLive.com

“We’ve got a great team. We’ve got great guys around, I’ve got great teammates around me,” Scherzer said. “And then we’ve got Miguel Cabrera. I mean, who would want to leave and actually want to face that guy?”

3. wingsfan97 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

If we trade him,it’s not because of money.illitch is a billionaire and if it is then bump hot n readys to 6 or 7 bucks.

Hopefully he stays we will have the best 1 and 2 pitchers.well as long as vet lander plays like he did in 2012 season and 2013 playoffs

4. chill1184 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Question for Tigers fans; What is the motivation behind trying to trade Scherzer?

• Kevin S. - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Not a Tiger fan, but as I understand it, there’s questions as to whether they’ll be able to afford everybody once he signs his deal, so trade him now and get something for him. Not sure I’d do that, though – Tigers are so close that they’d likely be better to get his walk year and then take the pick if they can’t afford him. I guess it depends on what the offers are.

• historiophiliac - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I don’t think Tigers management is seriously going to do this. I think this is noise and speculation from outside and the media. I guess everyone decided that we’ve given up on winning now — which would be much harder if we didn’t keep Scherzer for the last year of his contract and kinda dumb (as Kevin points out). We’d have to get multiple solid relievers to fill our needs and make it sorta worthwhile. Who’s gonna drain their BP to get just one SP? Or, we’d have to work out a super-awesome multi-team deal, which would be tricky as hell. The easiest thing to do, if we want to win, is to keep Max, pick up a proven closer, and see what kind of BP help we can dig up. Most likely, that means trading Porcello instead.

5. geemoney - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

There is no way he gets traded, for years, the Tigers problem was a lack of pitching talent, now they have some of the best. If they part with Max, they start reverting back to the days when the Tigers were irrelevant. I mean they still have Verlander, but Max was the bomb this year. Keep Max dump Cecil Jr. and build a bullpen.

6. ray0414 - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM

if the tigers give max his arbitration deal, the tigers starting pitching alone will be gtetting a raise of almost 25million bux because sanchez’s deal goes up from like 9 to 15 next year, fister and porcello would also be getting raises via arbitration. tigers also need to resign benoit, a new closer, possible left fielder, oh and infante and peralta both free agents. ALSO, cabrera only has 1 or 2 years left on his deal, so he’ll be needing an extension soon with a nice pay incress id imagine, he currently makes 22 or 23, rumor he’ll get 28 to 30 on his extension, so if max keeps pitching like this, he’ll get 20+ on open market.

my advice to max: if you truly want to stay, fire your greedy agent and negotiate yourself that gives both parties a chance to be happy.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2677)