Nov 16, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Cool story from Corey Brock of MLB.com about new Cubs manager Rick Renteria, who has had a pretty wild ride over the past six weeks. He required hip replacement surgery on October 4 which prevented him from flying, so the Cubs, Mariners, and Tigers all visited him at his home in Temecula, California to discuss their vacant manager positions.
“The funny thing is, I didn’t actually know,” Renteria said. “I got a call the day I was going into surgery. I spoke with [Padres general manager Josh Byrnes] and he said the Cubs were interested in interviewing me for the position.
“I then talked to Jed and I told him I couldn’t travel for six weeks. And he said maybe they could come out to see me.”
That ignited a whirlwind month for Renteria, as the Cubs came for the first of three meetings. Then, it was the Tigers and Mariners. Team presidents, general managers and other front-office folks, all in his home while Renteria hobbled around with the use of his trusty walker.
Renteria was first visited by Cubs president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer just 10 days after surgery and did the interview while wearing sweatpants. My kind of guy. Renteria’s wife, Iline, proved quite hospitable during the visit by picking up lunch for the trio. The Cubs paid two more visits before offering him the job right in his home, which was obviously a very special moment for the Renteria family. Great stuff.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)