Nov 16, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Cool story from Corey Brock of MLB.com about new Cubs manager Rick Renteria, who has had a pretty wild ride over the past six weeks. He required hip replacement surgery on October 4 which prevented him from flying, so the Cubs, Mariners, and Tigers all visited him at his home in Temecula, California to discuss their vacant manager positions.
“The funny thing is, I didn’t actually know,” Renteria said. “I got a call the day I was going into surgery. I spoke with [Padres general manager Josh Byrnes] and he said the Cubs were interested in interviewing me for the position.
“I then talked to Jed and I told him I couldn’t travel for six weeks. And he said maybe they could come out to see me.”
That ignited a whirlwind month for Renteria, as the Cubs came for the first of three meetings. Then, it was the Tigers and Mariners. Team presidents, general managers and other front-office folks, all in his home while Renteria hobbled around with the use of his trusty walker.
Renteria was first visited by Cubs president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer just 10 days after surgery and did the interview while wearing sweatpants. My kind of guy. Renteria’s wife, Iline, proved quite hospitable during the visit by picking up lunch for the trio. The Cubs paid two more visits before offering him the job right in his home, which was obviously a very special moment for the Renteria family. Great stuff.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 0
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 27
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)