Nov 16, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Cool story from Corey Brock of MLB.com about new Cubs manager Rick Renteria, who has had a pretty wild ride over the past six weeks. He required hip replacement surgery on October 4 which prevented him from flying, so the Cubs, Mariners, and Tigers all visited him at his home in Temecula, California to discuss their vacant manager positions.
“The funny thing is, I didn’t actually know,” Renteria said. “I got a call the day I was going into surgery. I spoke with [Padres general manager Josh Byrnes] and he said the Cubs were interested in interviewing me for the position.
“I then talked to Jed and I told him I couldn’t travel for six weeks. And he said maybe they could come out to see me.”
That ignited a whirlwind month for Renteria, as the Cubs came for the first of three meetings. Then, it was the Tigers and Mariners. Team presidents, general managers and other front-office folks, all in his home while Renteria hobbled around with the use of his trusty walker.
Renteria was first visited by Cubs president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer just 10 days after surgery and did the interview while wearing sweatpants. My kind of guy. Renteria’s wife, Iline, proved quite hospitable during the visit by picking up lunch for the trio. The Cubs paid two more visits before offering him the job right in his home, which was obviously a very special moment for the Renteria family. Great stuff.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)