Nov 16, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Long time Yankee and current free agent second baseman Robinson Cano is expected to sign a very lucrative contract this off-season, making his next deal not a matter of if, but when. So far, though, talks involving Cano and other suitors have been few and far between. At the end of September, he was reportedly asking for $305 million.
John Harper of the New York Daily News spoke to someone close to Cano who said the second baseman is “ready for this to go past Christmas, into January if necessary”. Harper added:
If that’s true, don’t expect Cano to panic and sign what he would consider a below-market contract with the Yankees just because no team has come forward yet to show interest in paying him the $200 million-$300 million he wants in a deal of seven or more years.
“He wants his money, that’s the bottom line,” the person close to the situation said. “He wants to be a Yankee, but only if he gets the money he wants.”
Cano, a nine-year veteran, turned 31 years old last month, so a deal of seven or more years would take him through his age-37 season, a fact any team considering pursuing him will keep in mind. However, he has been the best second baseman in baseball over the last four years, ranking ahead of Ben Zobrist and Dustin Pedroia in Wins Above Replacement, according to Baseball Reference.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)