Giants GM Brian Sabean says Buster Posey won’t move to first base

Nov 17, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT

World Series - San Francisco Giants v Detroit Tigers - Game 4 Getty Images

Days after the Twins announced they are moving catcher Joe Mauer over to first base full-time, Giants GM Brian Sabean shot down speculation that the team would do the same with catcher Buster Posey, per MLB.com’s Chris Haft.

“When we signed him to an extension, we considered him as a catcher, and those numbers he was able to get in the extension were based on him being a catcher,” said Sabean, referring to the nine-year, $167 million deal Posey and the Giants reached last March. For Posey, Sabean added, catching “is his passion, and that’s where we need him to be at long term.”

Like Mauer, Posey suffered a major injury as a result of playing the position, which fueled the rumor that Posey would have a new position in 2014. Then-Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins collided with Posey at home plate in May 2011, fracturing the catcher’s ankle and ending his season. Since then, Posey, who turns 27 years old in late March, has logged 148 games in each of the past two seasons.

1. NYTolstoy - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

they won’t probally move him till his early 30s. That contract they signed him to is pretty big but they probally won’t notice it till 2 or 3 years left. smart deal to lock him up for the long hall. Him and Cain

2. aphillieated - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Move him to first base and sign McCann or Salty.

3. Walk - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I have not seen posey play first. I only get to see him when espn has a giants game or he is in towwn on a road game, but i have seen him play first. He did not look out of place to me and he did look talented enough even when coming back from an injury to handle more than first base duties. In fact he reminds me a lot of craig biggio. His salary having him locked in as a catcher though strikes me as being shortsighted on the part of management. It is easy enough to find a veteran catcher to handle the staff. Middle or corner infielders with his bat are a lot harder to find. I know a catcher with his bat is even rarer, but having a defensive catcher would put the giants on par with most of the rest of the teams in the league, and if he can handle a move to second like biggio it would give the giants a potent hitter at a position most other teams lack. At the very least he should get a few looks at another position in spring training which would help provide insurance against injury late in the season.

4. NYTolstoy - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Do you forget they do have a guy at first. A young man named Brandon Belt who is getting better offensively and not bad with the glove either.

5. Walk - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I did not forget belt, one of my favorite players. I was just hoping posey another of my favorites would get some more games outside of catching to help keep his legs strong. Catchers decline faster than any other position player. Throw in foul ball injuries and collisions and a career can end overnight. Having a large contract tied up in a catcher is a huge risk. I tried to shorten my post as it was verging on a wall of words and failed to adequately explain myself above.

6. mgflolox - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

There’s a big difference between a catcher who’s 6’1″ 220lbs. (Posey) and one who is 6’5″ 230lbs (Mauer). It was inevitable that Mauer was going to have back and knee problems due to the grind of catching. The amazing thing is that someone of that size could be such an outstanding defensive catcher for as long as he was. So far, Posey’s high in games caught for a season is only 121. They do a pretty good job of spotting him at 1B or DH when they can. Barring another injury due to a collision or some freak occurrence, I think he’ll last at the position for a while.

7. NYTolstoy - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

sorry walk I was responding to eat.

• Walk - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM

No worries nytolstoy i figured you were. I wrote a wall of text and tried to trim it back and ended up with an almost illegible post. I do that every once in a while, move sentences around and shorten posts and forget to remove something. Count me among the number who wish we could edit a post. I understand why we do not have an edit function though, it is too easy to bait someone then edit your post and the offended person ends up with the blame.

8. temporarilyexiled - Nov 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM

So you deal with what is:

Posey catching and Belt at first.

My personal takes on whether I’m comfortable with the talent level of players at each position:

Posey? yes
    Belt? maybe
    Scutaro? maybe (age is a factor)
    Crawford yes
    Sandoval maybe (we know what’s a factor)
    LF? no (you’ll notice I didn’t fill this spot with a name…)
    Pagan? no (and if he moves to LF, trade the no on defense for one on offense)
    Pence? maybe

2 yes
    4 maybe
    2 no

Sound kind of mediocre?

9. Liam - Nov 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

No reason to move him until he hits puberty.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3049)