Nov 17, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro slips this little nugget at the end of his general manager meetings roundup:
The Marlins are weighing whether David Freese is a realistic fit at third base.
Freese is due a raise through salary arbitration and the Cardinals are ready to install Kolten Wong at second base, moving Matt Carpenter to third base. So it’s no secret that Freese — the former St. Louis postseason hero — is on the trade block this winter.
Freese is a poor defender at the hot corner, but he owns a decent .286/.356/.427 career batting line and is especially tough on left-handed pitching. The 30-year-old should land with a team willing to give him a starting job. And if he doesn’t, the Cardinals can use him in a sort of rotating platoon next season.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 53
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)