Nov 17, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro slips this little nugget at the end of his general manager meetings roundup:
The Marlins are weighing whether David Freese is a realistic fit at third base.
Freese is due a raise through salary arbitration and the Cardinals are ready to install Kolten Wong at second base, moving Matt Carpenter to third base. So it’s no secret that Freese — the former St. Louis postseason hero — is on the trade block this winter.
Freese is a poor defender at the hot corner, but he owns a decent .286/.356/.427 career batting line and is especially tough on left-handed pitching. The 30-year-old should land with a team willing to give him a starting job. And if he doesn’t, the Cardinals can use him in a sort of rotating platoon next season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)