Nov 17, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro slips this little nugget at the end of his general manager meetings roundup:
The Marlins are weighing whether David Freese is a realistic fit at third base.
Freese is due a raise through salary arbitration and the Cardinals are ready to install Kolten Wong at second base, moving Matt Carpenter to third base. So it’s no secret that Freese — the former St. Louis postseason hero — is on the trade block this winter.
Freese is a poor defender at the hot corner, but he owns a decent .286/.356/.427 career batting line and is especially tough on left-handed pitching. The 30-year-old should land with a team willing to give him a starting job. And if he doesn’t, the Cardinals can use him in a sort of rotating platoon next season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)