Nov 17, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
As Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News points out, the Rangers have a surfeit of middle infield depth. At the Major League level, they have Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus signed to lengthy contracts as well as Jurickson Profar. Beyond those three, prospects Rougned Odor and Luis Sardinas are waiting in the wings. With needs at various positions, including catcher, left field, and DH, as well as limited payroll space, it would make sense for the Rangers to deal from an area of surplus to fill an area of need.
Grant points out that the Rangers’ biggest worry isn’t finding a trade partner, but arriving at a deal that nets the Rangers what GM Jon Daniels perceives as fair value for his players.
One executive, left unnamed, told Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal during the GM meetings that the Rangers’ middle infield situation was “untenable.”
“We have three guys at the major league level and two guys at Double-A [Odor and Sardinas]; it would be irresponsible not to consider it,” Daniels said of a possible trade during the GM meetings. “Will we ultimately make a deal? I really don’t know. Teams are getting the lay of the land, see what’s out there and make a decision.”
Kinsler, now 31 years old, is signed through 2017 with a total of $62 million remaining on his contract. Andrus is 25 and signed through 2022, earning $6.75 million in 2014, the last year of his old extension before his new one kicks in at a total of $120 million.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)