Nov 17, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada is considering filing a grievance against the Mets over a service time issue. As Passan notes, Tejada was the team’s final call-up in September, earning the promotion on the 10th. They handed out three promotions on the 1st of the month, one on the 7th, and four on the 9th.
As a result, Tejada is one day of service time short of three full years, which would allow him to reach free agency after the 2016 season. Now, however, he becomes eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, but he is hoping to change that with the grievance.
More on the process from Passan:
Should Tejada follow through with a grievance, arbitrator Fredric Horowitz – currently overseeing the Alex Rodriguez case – would decide whether the Mets were within their rights to leave Tejada with two years, 171 days of service time. A full season of service time is considered 172 days.
Should the case go to grievance and Tejada be awarded the extra day, the beneficiary would be Seattle Mariners reliever Charlie Furbush, who would jump into the top 22 percent of players with two-plus years of service time and reach arbitration as a Super 2. With his current service time, Tejada would be a Super 2.
Despite alleged tinkering with service time, the Mets are actively looking for an upgrade over Tejada. In 227 trips to the plate as a Major Leaguer, Tejada mustered a paltry .519 OPS. The Mets “secretly” met with free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta at the GM meetings in Orlando, Florida.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 13
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)