Nov 17, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada is considering filing a grievance against the Mets over a service time issue. As Passan notes, Tejada was the team’s final call-up in September, earning the promotion on the 10th. They handed out three promotions on the 1st of the month, one on the 7th, and four on the 9th.
As a result, Tejada is one day of service time short of three full years, which would allow him to reach free agency after the 2016 season. Now, however, he becomes eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, but he is hoping to change that with the grievance.
More on the process from Passan:
Should Tejada follow through with a grievance, arbitrator Fredric Horowitz – currently overseeing the Alex Rodriguez case – would decide whether the Mets were within their rights to leave Tejada with two years, 171 days of service time. A full season of service time is considered 172 days.
Should the case go to grievance and Tejada be awarded the extra day, the beneficiary would be Seattle Mariners reliever Charlie Furbush, who would jump into the top 22 percent of players with two-plus years of service time and reach arbitration as a Super 2. With his current service time, Tejada would be a Super 2.
Despite alleged tinkering with service time, the Mets are actively looking for an upgrade over Tejada. In 227 trips to the plate as a Major Leaguer, Tejada mustered a paltry .519 OPS. The Mets “secretly” met with free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta at the GM meetings in Orlando, Florida.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)