Nov 17, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada is considering filing a grievance against the Mets over a service time issue. As Passan notes, Tejada was the team’s final call-up in September, earning the promotion on the 10th. They handed out three promotions on the 1st of the month, one on the 7th, and four on the 9th.
As a result, Tejada is one day of service time short of three full years, which would allow him to reach free agency after the 2016 season. Now, however, he becomes eligible for free agency after the 2017 season, but he is hoping to change that with the grievance.
More on the process from Passan:
Should Tejada follow through with a grievance, arbitrator Fredric Horowitz – currently overseeing the Alex Rodriguez case – would decide whether the Mets were within their rights to leave Tejada with two years, 171 days of service time. A full season of service time is considered 172 days.
Should the case go to grievance and Tejada be awarded the extra day, the beneficiary would be Seattle Mariners reliever Charlie Furbush, who would jump into the top 22 percent of players with two-plus years of service time and reach arbitration as a Super 2. With his current service time, Tejada would be a Super 2.
Despite alleged tinkering with service time, the Mets are actively looking for an upgrade over Tejada. In 227 trips to the plate as a Major Leaguer, Tejada mustered a paltry .519 OPS. The Mets “secretly” met with free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta at the GM meetings in Orlando, Florida.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)