Nov 17, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Chase Headley, 3B, Padres — There’s growing sentiment that Headley will be traded this offseason. There’s been talk about an extension, but the Padres, who are now willing to increase payroll under CEO Mike Dee’s leadership, are thinking that they can improve a couple of different areas long-term by dealing their third baseman. Dee is hoping to “win our fans back. We have to build trust with our fans that when we make a move it’s for the good of the franchise, a good baseball move rather than a perception that we’re trying to trim payroll. We need our fans to trust us as an organization again.”
Headley had a disappointing .250/.347/.400 batting line with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 141 games this year for the 76-86 Padres. But he batted .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs and 115 RBI in 161 games last year, and there are certain to be teams willing to buy low.
The 29-year-old is arbitration-eligible for the third and final time this winter.
He is currently scheduled to become a free agent after the 2014 season.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)