Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
Lots of people talked about Jay-Z as if he’d be handling all of the details of Robinson’s Cano’s free agency. Then a lot of people subtly reminded folks that, in reality, Cano is being represented by both Jay-Z and CAA, and CAA has a lot more experience in such matters, suggesting that Jay-Z is more of the marketing side of things as opposed to the “create contract incentives tied to baseball minutiae” side of things.
But today some pushback on that from the Daily News, which reported on Cano’s CAA agent’s appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM yesterday:
Jay Z, the hip-hop mogul who’s added sports agent to his entrepreneurial pursuits, hasn’t said anything about Robinson Cano’s free agency since his biggest client hit baseball’s open market.
But the rapper/repper is “intimately involved in all areas” of the process, according to the man who is leading the negotiations for Cano’s side, CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen.
See, what I’d do is keep it all really vague until Cano signs. If it’s a great deal, I’d come forward and say how involved I was. If it sucked, I’d say it was the baseball people who screwed it all up and that I was more focused on branding and things.
But hey, if you want to assume Jay-Z and his people know more about public relations and image building and such than a 40 year-old guy who lives with his kids in the suburbs, be my guest.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)