Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
Lots of people talked about Jay-Z as if he’d be handling all of the details of Robinson’s Cano’s free agency. Then a lot of people subtly reminded folks that, in reality, Cano is being represented by both Jay-Z and CAA, and CAA has a lot more experience in such matters, suggesting that Jay-Z is more of the marketing side of things as opposed to the “create contract incentives tied to baseball minutiae” side of things.
But today some pushback on that from the Daily News, which reported on Cano’s CAA agent’s appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM yesterday:
Jay Z, the hip-hop mogul who’s added sports agent to his entrepreneurial pursuits, hasn’t said anything about Robinson Cano’s free agency since his biggest client hit baseball’s open market.
But the rapper/repper is “intimately involved in all areas” of the process, according to the man who is leading the negotiations for Cano’s side, CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen.
See, what I’d do is keep it all really vague until Cano signs. If it’s a great deal, I’d come forward and say how involved I was. If it sucked, I’d say it was the baseball people who screwed it all up and that I was more focused on branding and things.
But hey, if you want to assume Jay-Z and his people know more about public relations and image building and such than a 40 year-old guy who lives with his kids in the suburbs, be my guest.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)