Jay-Z reportedly “intimately involved” in Robinson Cano’s free agency

Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 AM EST

jay-z getty Getty Images

Lots of people talked about Jay-Z as if he’d be handling all of the details of Robinson’s Cano’s free agency. Then a lot of people subtly reminded folks that, in reality, Cano is being represented by both Jay-Z and CAA, and CAA has a lot more experience in such matters, suggesting that Jay-Z is more of the marketing side of things as opposed to the “create contract incentives tied to baseball minutiae” side of things.

But today some pushback on that from the Daily News, which reported on Cano’s CAA agent’s appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM yesterday:

Jay Z, the hip-hop mogul who’s added sports agent to his entrepreneurial pursuits, hasn’t said anything about Robinson Cano’s free agency since his biggest client hit baseball’s open market.

But the rapper/repper is “intimately involved in all areas” of the process, according to the man who is leading the negotiations for Cano’s side, CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen.

Who knows.

See, what I’d do is keep it all really vague until Cano signs. If it’s a great deal, I’d come forward and say how involved I was. If it sucked, I’d say it was the baseball people who screwed it all up and that I was more focused on branding and things.

But hey, if you want to assume Jay-Z and his people know more about public relations and image building and such than a 40 year-old guy who lives with his kids in the suburbs, be my guest.

1. twenty1miles - Nov 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

All I’m going to say is: I would love to be a fly on the wall during negotiations between Brian Cashman and Jay Z.

2. isujames - Nov 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

From one brother to another brother get that brother every and all the $$$$ he deserves,Thug Life.

• aphillieated - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cano isn’t black. He’s Dominicano!

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Can’t he be both?

3. flyinhighwithvick - Nov 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Go away Joe Camel.

4. bigharold - Nov 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Really?? The man has a promotional deal with Barney’s, .. never mind.

5. bigharold - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

It’ll be hard to tell for sure until after it’s too late but Jay Z intimately involved doesn’t sound good for either side. I hope Cano is getting a discount for letting Jay Z get his on the job training while negotiating the biggest thing that will happen to anybody named Cano ever.

And, if Cano walks, .. Is Jay Z going to continue to wear that Yankee Cap?

6. 950003cups - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

In other news, Attorney At Law, Dr Jay Z will also be “intimately” representing Alex Rodriguez in court.

7. 18thstreet - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I wish I could decode this comment, but I misplaced my KKK-to-English dictionary.

8. chrisernst82 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think some people are vastly underestimating Jay Z’s intelligence. Based on stereo types.

• twenty1miles - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I don’t know what you take me as
      Or understand the intelligence that Jay-Z has
      I’m from rags to riches, ****** I ain’t dumb
      I got 99 problems, but a ***** ain’t one, hit me

Sorry, had to.

• yahmule - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Which stereo types do you mean? Harman Kardon, Bose, Klipsch?

It’s my understanding this gentleman first made his name in the music industry, but otherwise I’m not sure I follow.

• jm91rs - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

First made his name in stabbing a guy a few times, then in the music industry.

But as far as business acumen, there’s absolutely no denying he’s a freaking genius. Not a fan of his music, but the fact that he can pretty much buy whoever/whatever he wants tells you he’s done pretty well on the business side. I’d take him as my rep as everything he touches turns to gold.

• bigharold - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

“… vastly underestimating Jay Z’s intelligence. Based on stereo types.”

Not his intelligence, .. his experience at issue. And, stereotypes is an assumption on your part so maybe that says more about you than most of the posters here. This little dust up with Barney’s last week proves the man isn’t bullet proof and is certainly capable of missteps. There was little he could have done about the incidents and the resulting bad press but he could have gotten out in front of the issue quicker.

It’s not good for Cano, or the Yankees for that matter, that essentially a novice is “intimately involved” in this negotiation. There is a real risk that he overplays his hand because he’s in uncharted waters, as far as he’s concerned, and the Yankees go in another direction. I mean really $305 mil, ten years?? That wouldn’t be good for the Yankees or Cano. Considering all the ins and outs of MLB negotiations Cano would’ve been better served if he stuck with Boras. He might not have stayed with the Yankees but there is little doubt he’d have left any money on the table.

If I’m Cano, with my one and only shot at a big money FA contract, .. and it happens that I am the biggest fish in the FA market, .. I’d want someone responsible for that negotiation that has been there before and has a proven track record.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I suppose, from Cano’s perspective, any dollars Jay Z leaves on the table on the baseball side can probably be made up in the endorsement/publicity side. Which could be good for the Yankees as well. Cano needs a big market for that plan to work. Dodgers are out, probably LA too. I don’t imagine the Mets are looking to make THIS big of a splash, but I don’t think so. Really, that leaves the Yankees as the only player who can provide Cano the media market his other ambitions require.

• bigharold - Nov 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

“…any dollars Jay Z leaves on the table on the baseball side can probably be made up in the endorsement/publicity side.”

Perhaps but why not keep Boras for the baseball negotiations and Jay Z for everything else? And, I’m not sure about the endorsement stuff constituting even a fraction of his baseball salary. Besides Jeter what other baseball players have note worthy endorsement deals? Not A-Rod, David Write, ..hell it’s only recently that you see Rivera in Acura adds and they aren’t likely national campaigns.

If I’m picking a guy that is negotiating my nine figure contract I want the guy that got the Yankees to bid against themselves for Johnny Damon, .. the guy that Price Fielder a nine year $200+ mil deal the guy that got Matsuzaka $50+ mil deal.

9. dondada10 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Craig: Jay Z got rid of the hyphen.

10. aceshigh11 - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Well, that didn’t take long.

Go back to stormfront.org…you’d be more at home.

11. chiadam - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

So, you’re saying Jay Z is intimately involved with Robinson Cano. That’s basically all I read.

12. jm91rs - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Jay Z is also in his 40s and lives in the suburbs with his kid. The difference might be the gorgeous super star wife or the fact that while he lives in the suburbs, he also lives on islands, in big cities and wherever the hell else he feels like taking that private jet his wife bought him.

13. gibbskins9 - Nov 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM