Nov 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Those wood bat summer leagues college players often join? Kinda cool. They’re so loose they make the low minors look like The Serious Leagues (Brian McCann: commissioner).
This extends to team names too, as the new team the Northwoods League up in Kalamazoo attests: it’s the Growlers. Which, sadly, is not about beer growlers. It’s bear-themed. Still kinda cool, but a missed opportunity there.
Other names considered as part of the contest were the Cabbies, the Clutch, the Kangaroos and the Krakens.
Really wish we could have had “the Krakens.” And the team will play in Homer Stryker Field, which sounds like a action movie name Homer Simpson would use.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69