Nov 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Those wood bat summer leagues college players often join? Kinda cool. They’re so loose they make the low minors look like The Serious Leagues (Brian McCann: commissioner).
This extends to team names too, as the new team the Northwoods League up in Kalamazoo attests: it’s the Growlers. Which, sadly, is not about beer growlers. It’s bear-themed. Still kinda cool, but a missed opportunity there.
Other names considered as part of the contest were the Cabbies, the Clutch, the Kangaroos and the Krakens.
Really wish we could have had “the Krakens.” And the team will play in Homer Stryker Field, which sounds like a action movie name Homer Simpson would use.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 32
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)