Nov 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Those wood bat summer leagues college players often join? Kinda cool. They’re so loose they make the low minors look like The Serious Leagues (Brian McCann: commissioner).
This extends to team names too, as the new team the Northwoods League up in Kalamazoo attests: it’s the Growlers. Which, sadly, is not about beer growlers. It’s bear-themed. Still kinda cool, but a missed opportunity there.
Other names considered as part of the contest were the Cabbies, the Clutch, the Kangaroos and the Krakens.
Really wish we could have had “the Krakens.” And the team will play in Homer Stryker Field, which sounds like a action movie name Homer Simpson would use.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)