Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
First-time manager Brad Ausmus’ coaching staff will include Omar Vizquel, who’s joining the Tigers as a first base coach.
Vizquel immediately went into coaching following 24 seasons in the majors, spending this year as a roving minor league infield instructor for the Angels. Now he joins Ausmus’ staff, which includes veteran bench coach Gene Lamont, who’s a holdover from Jim Leyland’s regime.
Vizquel debuted in 1989 and played 24 seasons and Ausmus debuted in 1993 and played 18 seasons, but somehow they managed to never be teammates. And now that Vizquel is on a big-league coach staff at age 46, it seems like only a matter of time before he becomes a manager.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)