Omar Vizquel joins Tigers as first base coach

Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT

Omar Vizquel AP

First-time manager Brad Ausmus’ coaching staff will include Omar Vizquel, who’s joining the Tigers as a first base coach.

Vizquel immediately went into coaching following 24 seasons in the majors, spending this year as a roving minor league infield instructor for the Angels. Now he joins Ausmus’ staff, which includes veteran bench coach Gene Lamont, who’s a holdover from Jim Leyland’s regime.

Vizquel debuted in 1989 and played 24 seasons and Ausmus debuted in 1993 and played 18 seasons, but somehow they managed to never be teammates. And now that Vizquel is on a big-league coach staff at age 46, it seems like only a matter of time before he becomes a manager.

1. Francisco (FC) - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

In Winter Ball he was a bench coach if I’m not mistaken.

2. moogro - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He’s on the fast track.

3. aiede - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Not that this was a “diversity” hire because I think he’d be a great hire if his name was Sven Svensson, but he’s got the added benefit of being a Venezuelan coach for a team that’s got a very strong Latin American contingent, with a heavy pipeline to Venezuela (Cabrera, VMart, Infante, Sanchez, Perez, etc.)

I especially love the idea of Vizquel working with Jose Iglesias to make him even more ridiculous defensively.

• frank433 - Nov 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Jason Beck (I think it was him) reported on twitter earlier today that Dave Dombrowski has said he wanted a spanish speaking coach on staff. This may be a “diversity” hire in that sense, but it seems like it could be a really good “baseball” hire also.

4. km9000 - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I’m disappointed the Angels couldn’t keep him, but I was surprised they were able to get him in the first place.

5. proudlycanadian - Nov 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

After he retired, he indicated that he wanted to be a MLB manager; however, it appears that the best job he could find was the one with the Angels. I assume that he still wants to become a manager and this job is the next step in achieving his goal.

• Kevin Gillman - Nov 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

He will always be a Cleveland Indian to me. I just wished he hadn’t gone over to our division rival…LOL

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline