Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Padres announced this evening that Dave Roberts will serve as bench coach next season while Jose Valentin will replace him as first base coach.
This is a promotion for Roberts, who has served as the first base coach for the club for the past three seasons. He’s taking over for Rick Renteria, who was recently hired as manager of the Cubs.
Valentin, who played 16 seasons in the majors, has been the manager of the Padres’ Class A affiliate in Fort Wayne for the past two seasons. This will be his first coaching job in the major leagues.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)