Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
The Padres announced this evening that Dave Roberts will serve as bench coach next season while Jose Valentin will replace him as first base coach.
This is a promotion for Roberts, who has served as the first base coach for the club for the past three seasons. He’s taking over for Rick Renteria, who was recently hired as manager of the Cubs.
Valentin, who played 16 seasons in the majors, has been the manager of the Padres’ Class A affiliate in Fort Wayne for the past two seasons. This will be his first coaching job in the major leagues.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)