Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Padres announced this evening that Dave Roberts will serve as bench coach next season while Jose Valentin will replace him as first base coach.
This is a promotion for Roberts, who has served as the first base coach for the club for the past three seasons. He’s taking over for Rick Renteria, who was recently hired as manager of the Cubs.
Valentin, who played 16 seasons in the majors, has been the manager of the Padres’ Class A affiliate in Fort Wayne for the past two seasons. This will be his first coaching job in the major leagues.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)