Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Padres announced this evening that Dave Roberts will serve as bench coach next season while Jose Valentin will replace him as first base coach.
This is a promotion for Roberts, who has served as the first base coach for the club for the past three seasons. He’s taking over for Rick Renteria, who was recently hired as manager of the Cubs.
Valentin, who played 16 seasons in the majors, has been the manager of the Padres’ Class A affiliate in Fort Wayne for the past two seasons. This will be his first coaching job in the major leagues.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)