Nov 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Padres announced this evening that Dave Roberts will serve as bench coach next season while Jose Valentin will replace him as first base coach.
This is a promotion for Roberts, who has served as the first base coach for the club for the past three seasons. He’s taking over for Rick Renteria, who was recently hired as manager of the Cubs.
Valentin, who played 16 seasons in the majors, has been the manager of the Padres’ Class A affiliate in Fort Wayne for the past two seasons. This will be his first coaching job in the major leagues.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 46
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 99
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)