Nov 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Jay Bell left his position as Pirates hitting coach last week to become the Reds’ bench coach and Pittsburgh has replaced him by promoting assistant hitting coach Jeff Branson into the main gig.
Pittsburgh ranked ninth among NL teams in offense this season, which sounds not at all impressive–and it isn’t, really–but the last time the Pirates ranked higher than ninth in runs was 2003.
Seriously. Reggie Sanders led that team in RBIs. And it was one season after Branson retired as a player.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)