Nov 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Jay Bell left his position as Pirates hitting coach last week to become the Reds’ bench coach and Pittsburgh has replaced him by promoting assistant hitting coach Jeff Branson into the main gig.
Pittsburgh ranked ninth among NL teams in offense this season, which sounds not at all impressive–and it isn’t, really–but the last time the Pirates ranked higher than ninth in runs was 2003.
Seriously. Reggie Sanders led that team in RBIs. And it was one season after Branson retired as a player.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)