Nov 18, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Skip Schumaker has agreed to a two-year contract with the Reds, whose general manager Walt Jocketty was GM’ing the Cardinals when they drafted Schumaker back in 2001.
After six seasons with the Cardinals he spent this year as a part-time player for the Dodgers, hitting .263 with two homers and a .665 OPS in 125 games. Schumaker hasn’t topped a .725 OPS since 2009, will be 34 years old soon, and isn’t very good defensively, but he has experience at second base and all three outfield spots and has decent on-base skills.
Still, a multi-year deal for a 34-year-old bench player coming off a so-so season is more evidence that spending is going to be wacky this offseason.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)