Talking MVPs and MVP voting on “Clubhouse Confidential”

Nov 18, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT

I went on MLB Network’s “Clubhouse Confidential” on Friday. Sports Illustrated’s Jay Jaffe and I spoke with Brian Kenny about the MVP voting results and then we talked some about the BBWAA voting pool. I appeared on a video monitor and sort of felt like Max Headroom. Which is not a bad thing. Unless you’re too young to know who Max Headroom was. In which case, up yours.

Two segments. The one in which I gave a shoutout to my favorite newspaper — The East B.F.E. Intelligencer — was in the second segment.

1. chacochicken - Nov 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Blipverts killed my father.

2. clydeserra - Nov 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I liked the East BFE intelegencer better when they had an afternoon edition.

• dink53 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

They stopped carrying Steve Canyon, too.

3. cur68 - Nov 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Some thoughts:
    -That’s a hell of a moustache on Jaffe. Damn near a mustachio. /hat tip
    -Good point about wanting one guy to win and constructing an argument. Lots of that going around.
    -Lots of guys in the argument for Cy Young. Good season for pitching, or just a good season for good pitchers to have had a good season?

• km9000 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I would love for Jaffe to come up with an advanced stat called “CHiPs.”

4. dink53 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

So you can see the Columbus skyline from your basement?

5. APBA Guy - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

As you know I love “Clubhouse Confidential”, so it was a pleasant surprise to see CC on CC Saturday morning when I watch the DVR’d show with coffee.

Have any return trips lined up?

6. paperlions - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Jaffe makes an excellent point. The majority of BBWAA members are story tellers, that is actually their job. Their job is not to understand baseball, per se, to be an analyst, or to watch as much baseball as possible, most of them have a job to cover a single team and to tell stories about that team. When the profession of most voters is story telling, of course narrative is going to drive the vote and of course many of the voters will be homers given 1/2 a chance.

Final take away from World Series