Nov 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
I can’t decide if the resumption of the Alex Rodriguez hearing today means that we’ll hear less silly p.r. spin from the lawyers because they’ll be busy with substantive casework again or if it means we’ll hear more because, rather than seek out the media each day, they’ll have to walk by them as they go in and out of MLB’s offices for the hearing. Guess we’ll see!
Anyway, things do get going again today. As we’ve noted in recent days, a couple of the bigger issues A-Rod’s team is going to try to push are (a) the provenance of much of MLB’s evidence; and (b) putting Bud Selig on the stand.
The former issue involves MLB’s investigative methods. Specifically, whether it knowingly obtained stolen Biogenesis evidence to build its case and whether it used other underhanded and extreme tactics to gain the cooperation of witnesses. A-Rod’s lawyers are trying to tell a tale of an out-of-control MLB, hellbent on nailing A-Rod to a wall and willing to do anything to make it happen. MLB, of course, is saying it did nothing wrong. All of that is sexy. It’s quite possible, though, that none of it matters, as the the arbitrator may only concern himself with what evidence is in front of him, not whether it got to him via sleazy means.
As for Selig on the stand: it seems unlikely, but clearly A-Rod’s team would like to make the league sweat.
The hearings will last all week and through the weekend, with the arbitrator saying he wants it done before Thanksgiving. The ruling, however, may not come out until a month afterward.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)