Nov 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Edgar Martinez’s and David Ortiz‘s Hall of Fame cases often get bogged down in “they’re only part-time players” and “anyone can just DH” arglebargle.
But when you look around you realize that there are fewer and fewer guys who can make the full-time DH thing work. Indeed, there are 15 teams who use a DH most games but only five guys qualified for the batting title out of the DH position in 2013. And one of them was Adam Dunn for cryin’ out loud.
Yep, the days of the dedicated DH seem to be dwindling. And you can add the Rays to the list of teams which have decided to go with DH-by-committee rather than just give the job to some hitter who is too creaky or too clunky to field any longer. Here’s Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune:
Executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said at last week’s general managers meetings that his team could employ a four-man rotation through the DH spot in 2014 with Matt Joyce and David DeJesus as the left-handed half of that quartet and Wil Myers and Desmond Jennings swinging from the right side.
Makes sense after several years of the Pat Burrell/Johnny Damon/Luke Scott parade. Which at times was OK — mostly from Scott — but was not so good that it was worth dedicating a roster spot. Playing platoons and keeping guys fresh with this rotation is bound to provide way better production at way better cost than almost anything else the Rays could do about the DH spot this winter.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 6
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)