Nov 18, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Not only did the Giants hang onto Tim Lincecum, re-signing him to two-year, $35 million, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that they’re agreed to a deal with free agent right-hander Tim Hudson. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com says it’s a two-year, $23 million contract.
Hudson is coming back from a fractured ankle that ended his season in July, but before the injury he was having another strong season at age 37 with a 3.97 ERA and 95/36 K/BB ratio in 131 innings.
He’s posted a sub-4.00 ERA in 13 of his 15 seasons in the majors and has a 3.44 career ERA, including a 3.56 mark in nine years with the Braves. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves initially offered Hudson a one-year deal to return, but later added a second year that still fell short of the Giants’ offer.
UPDATE: Here’s an interesting little twist. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says the A’s, not the Braves, finished runner-up in the Hudson bidding. Hudson was drafted by Oakland and pitched for the A’s from 1999-2004, when he was traded to the Braves.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 36
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 22
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)